ON THE ROOTS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION

thelivyjr
Site Admin

Re: ON THE ROOTS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION

Post by thelivyjr »

Having obtained the necessary information he proposed to the Commander-in-chief to destroy the works, who concluded the expedition too dangerous to warrant its undertaking.

Not willing to abandon his project, Maj. T. visited the island in person about the 1st of November, to ascertain the then state of the works.

He learned "that the fortress was completed, and was the depository of stores, dry-goods, groceries, and arms, from whence Suffolk county could be supplied."

Provided with an accurate draft of the fort, and apprised that a large quantity of forage was collected at Coram, from the east end of the island, he again importuned Gen. Washington to sanction a contemplated visit, who, on the 11th day of November, signified his assent by letter.

The expedition is thus entered in the journal:

"All preparations necessary being made, on the 21st of November, at about four o'clock, P.M., I embarked my detachment composed of two companies of dismounted dragoons, (and in all short of one hundred selected men,) at Fairfield, and the same evening at nine o'clock, we landed at a place on Long Island called the Old Man's."

"I was obliged to go so far east to avoid a large body of the enemy which laid at Huntington and its vicinity, partly in our direct route from Stamford."

"Soon after we landed, say by ten o'clock, I put the troops in motion to cross Long Island."

"We had not gone far, say four or five miles, before the wind began to blow from the southeast, and the rain soon followed."

"I faced the troops about, returned to our boats, which were drawn up and concealed in the bushes."

"There we remained through the night and the next day, and at evening the rain abated, and I again ordered the troops to march for our destined place on the south side of Long Island."

"At four o'clock next morning I found we were within two miles of Fort St. George, when we halted a short time to take refreshment."

"Having made my arrangements for the plan of attack, I placed two small detachments under the command of subaltern officers of high spirit, at different positions from the fort, with orders to keep concealed until the enemy should fire on my column."

"Just as the day began to dawn, I put my detachment in motion."

"The pioneers who preceded my column had reached within forty yards of the stockade before they were discovered by the enemy."

"At this moment, the sentinal in advance of the stockade, halted his march, looked attentively at our column, demanded 'who comes there?' and fired."

"Before the smoke from his gun had cleared his vision, my sergeant, who marched by my side, reached him with his bayonet, and prostrated him."

"This was the signal for the other troops to move forward, when all seemed to vie with each other to enter the fort."

"So resolute were the men, that a breach was soon made in the stockade, where the rear platoon halted to prevent the prisoners from escaping."

"I led the column directly through the grand parade against the main fort, which we carried with the bayonet in less than ten minutes, not a musket being loaded."

"At the same instant that I entered one side of the fort, the officers commanding the smaller detachments mounted the ramparts on the other sides, and the watchword, Washington and Glory! was repeated from three sides of the fort at the same time."

"While we were standing, elated with victory, in the centre of the fort, a volley of musketry was discharged from the windows of one of the large houses, which induced me to order my whole detachment to load and return the fire."

"I soon found it necessary to lead the column directly to the house, which being strongly barricaded required the aid of the pioneers with their axes."

"As soon as the troops could enter, the confusion and conflict was great."

"A considerable portion of those who had fired after the fort was taken and the colours had been struck, were thrown headlong from the second story to the ground."

"Having forfeited their lives by the usages of war, all would have been killed had I not ordered the slaughter to cease."

"The prisoners, being secured, it was soon discovered that the shipping, which laid near the fort, loaded with stores, &c., were getting under weigh."

"The guns of the fort were brought to bear on them, and they were soon secured."

"All things were now safe and quiet, and I had never seen the sun rise more pleasantly."

"It became necessary to demolish the enemy's works, as far as possible, which was done: an immense quantity of stores of various kinds, English, &c., were destroyed."

"The shipping and their stores were also burnt up."

"Some valuable articles of dry goods were made up in bundles, placed on the prisoners' shoulders, who were pinioned two and two, and thus carried across the island to our boats."

"The work of capturing and destroying this fortress being effected, at eight o'clock, A.M., I put the troops under march to recross the island to our boats."

"Having given the command of the detachment to Capt. Edgar, with orders to halt at a given point near the middle of the island, I selected ten or twelve men, and mounted them on horses taken at the fort, with which I intended to destroy the King's magazine of forage at Coram."

"This place was nearly half way to the place where a large body of British troops were encamped, east of Huntington."

"I reached the place in about an hour and a half; made a vigorous charge upon the guard placed to protect it; set it on fire [some three hundred tons of hay], and in about an hour and a half more reached the place where I had ordered the troops to halt, having rode some fifteen or sixteen miles."

"As I arrived at the spot, I was gratified to see the head of the detachment, under Capt. Edgar advancing with the prisoners."

"As none of us had halted since we parted, we sat down for nearly an hour and refreshed."

"After this we took up our line of march, by four o clock reached our boats, and before sunset we were all afloat on the Sound; by midnight, or one o'clock next morning, every boat arrived on Fairfield beach, although we had entirely lost sight of each other in the darkness of the night."

"This service was executed entirely without the loss of one man from my detachment, and one only was badly wounded, and him we brought off."

"The enemy's loss was seven killed and wounded, most of them mortally."

"We took one lieutenant colonel commandant, one captain, one lieutenant, one surgeon, and fifty rank and file, with a host of others in the garrison."

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

On reporting the result of his expedition to the Commander-in-chief, Maj. Tallmadge requested permission to give his troops the spoils they had borne from the captured fortress, to which he received the following reply:

MORRISTOWN, 28th Nov., 1780.

"Dear Sir -- Both your Letters of the 25th came to my hands this day."

"I received with much pleasure the report of your successful Enterprise upon Fort St. George, and the vessel with stores in the harbor; and was particularly well pleased with the destruction of the hay, which must, I should conceive, be severely felt by the enemy at this time."

"I beg of you to accept my thanks for your judicious planning, and spirited execution of this business, and that you will offer them to the Officers and Men who shared the honor of the Enterprise with you."

"The gallant behavior of Mr. Muirson gives him a fair claim to an appointment in the second Regt. of Dragoons, or any other of the State to which he belongs, where there is a vacancy; and I have no doubt of his meeting with it accordingly, if you will make known his merits, with these sentiments in his favor."

"You have my free consent to reward your gallant party with the little booty they were able to bring from the Enemy's works."

"With much esteem and regard, I am, Dear Sir,"

"Your most obed't Servt,"

"GO. WASHINGTON."

The following honorable notice of Maj. Tallmadge's success over the enemy on Long Island, is found on the Journal of Congress for 1780, under date of Dec. 6th, that body having been apprised of the affair some days before by Gen. Washington.

"While Congress are sensible of the patriotism, courage and perseverance of the officers and privates of their regular forces, as well as the militia throughout these United States, and of the military conduct of the principal commanders in both, it gives them pleasure to be so frequently called upon to confer marks of distinction and applause for enterprises which do honor to the profession of arms, and claim a high rank among military achievements."

"In this light they view the enterprise against Fort George, on Long Island, planned, and conducted with wisdom and great gallantry by Maj. Tallmadge, of the light dragoons, and executed with intrepidity and complete success by the officers and soldiers of his detachment."

"Ordered, therefore, That Maj. Tallmadge's report to the Commander-in-chief be published, with the preceding minute, as a tribute to distinguished merit, and in testimony of the sense Congress entertain of this brilliant service."

"No person but a military man," says the journal of Col. T., "knows how to appreciate the honor bestowed, when the Commander-in-chief and the Congress of the United States return their thanks for a military achievement."

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

Contemplating an expedition against a British garrison of eight hundred men at Lloyd's Neck, and that of Fort Slongo, eight miles eastward of it, guarded by one hundred and fifty men, Maj. Tallmadge again visited Long Island, April 22, 1781, to obtain accurate information.

Submitting his plan of intended operations to Gen. Washington for the capture of these posts, and clearing the sound of the enemy's small craft, with the aid of more troops, and the co-operation of the French frigates, it was favorably received, and he was furnished with a flattering letter of introduction to Count Rochambeau, then at Rhode Island, for the naval force.

The absence of the vessels of the size wanted, prevented the prosecution of the enterprise.

In the fall of this year, Maj. Tallmadge renewed his project of annoying the enemy on Long Island.

"The fortress at Treadwell's Neck, called Fort Slongo, [says the journal,] seemed to demand attention, and on the 1st of October I moved my detachment of light infantry into the neighborhood of Norwalk; at the same time I directed a suitable number of boats to be assembled at the mouth of Saugatuck river, east of the town of Norwalk."

"On the evening of October 2d, 1781, at nine o'clock, I embarked a part of my detachment, and placed Maj. Trescott at the head of it, with orders to assail the fort on a particular point."

"The troops landed on Long Island by four o'clock, and at the dawn of day the attack was made and the fortress subdued."

"The block house, and other combustible materials, were burnt, and the troops and prisoners returned in safety, bringing off one piece of handsome brass field-artillery."

When the campaign of 1782 was opened, many felt as though the independence of the country had already been secured by the capture of Cornwallis and his army, but Gen. Washington, whatever may have been his private opinion "inculcated upon his troops the necessity of strict discipline, that they might be prepared for any emergency."

Many supernumerary officers were permitted to retire from the army early this season, the most efficient being retained in service.

As this year was one of comparative inactivity, the soldier's life became irksome, and he sighed for employment.

Towards the close of the year 1782, Major Tallmadge having been informed that six hundred of the enemy had encamped at Huntington, Long Island, conceived the plan of "beating up their quarters."

He disclosed his project in person to Gen. Washington, in the latter part of November, and obtained his permission to undertake it, the general claiming to name the time.

The 5th of December was the day fixed upon, when the Commander intended to execute an enterprise on the Hudson -- which was, to throw a large detachment of his troops below Fort Washington, while he moved down with the main body to Fort Independence and Kingsbridge, thus bringing the enemy between two fires.

On the evening of the day named, Maj. Tallmadge assembled his troops at Shipand Point, where his boats had been ordered.

His forces, some seven hundred men, consisting of four companies of infantry, a party of dismounted dragoons, to mount the captured horses, and a body of Connecticut levies, began to embark at sunset; but the half had not left the shore, when a western storm arising, they were called back, the boats drawn on shore and turned up for a shelter.

The Sound was agitated the next day, and at night became quiet, and the troops were beginning a second time to embark, but another gale arising, the troops were sheltered as on the previous night.

Apprised on the morning of the 7th, that three of the enemy's boats from Long Island had taken refuge and were wind-bound on the Norwalk islands, a few miles east of the point, Maj. Tallmadge despatched six sail boats under Capt. Brewster, to give some account of them.

Two were captured, after a spirited contest, in crossing the Sound, there about twelve miles wide, and the third escaped to land.

Capt. Brewster received a bullet in the breast, which passed through the body, but recovered of the wound.

The wind again rising on the third night, the expedition to the island was abandoned.

The contemplated movement of Gen. Washington, on the evening of the 5th, was prevented by several British vessels having moved up that day, and anchored above Fort Washington.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

In the winter of 1782 and '83, considerable illicit intercourse was carried on by traders along the Sound with the merchants of New York, and boats thus employed often fell into the hands of the vigilant Americans.

Informed that a public armed vessel, in the employ of the government, was actively employed in the traffic "technically called the London trade," Maj. Tallmadge proposed to punish the offenders.

The craft was a large sloop called the Sheeldham, Capt. Hoyt.

Furnished with a copy of her invoice of goods, and notified of her expected arrival at Norwalk, Maj. T. repaired to that place with a party of dragoons, and had the satisfaction of seeing her approach the harbor.

She anchored near the Old Wells, soon after which he went on board with a warrant, and constable to serve it.

Making known his errand, the captain flew into a passion, and threatened to throw him overboard.

While the intrepid major was endeavoring to reason with the dealer in contraband wares, the latter weighed anchor, hoisted sails, and stood out into the Sound, with a breeze from the northwest.

When ordered to put back, he not only refused, but swore he would throw his guest overboard.

The rest of the farce is thus noted in the journal:

"My captain continued his course towards Lloyd's Neck, where the enemy's fleet lay, until we reached the middle of the Sound."

"I inquired of him where he was going, when he informed me with an oath, he would carry me over to the enemy."

"I informed him that for such an offence, by our martial law, he exposed himself to be punished with death."

"He professed to care nothing for the consequences."

"I maintained my former course, and sternly ordered him to put about his vessel and return to Norwalk, assuring him that if he executed his threat I would have him hanged as high as Haman hung if ever I returned, as I did not doubt I should."

"The time now became very critical, for we were rapidly approaching the enemy, when I again commanded him to put about his ship and return."

"He began to hesitate, and in a few minutes ordered his men to put about; and then steered directly back into Norwalk harbor."

"As soon as he came to anchor down at the Old Wells, the captain went ashore in his boat, and I never saw him again."

"I now found myself in the peaceable possession of the vessel, and its cargo."

"On taking up the scuttle in the cabin, I found an assortment of English goods corresponding with my invoice, which I had duly labeled and condemned."

"Thus ended my hazardous contest with the captain of the Sheeldham, a man void of principle, and unworthy the commission he had."

One of the enemy's sloops of war having been seen repeatedly to cross the Sound and anchor under Stratford Point, Conn., where she went to barter merchandize for produce, measures were taken to capture her.

At Bridgeport, Maj. Tallmadge met Capt. Amos Hubbel, who had a suitable vessel, and readily engaged in the enterprise.

The captain agreed to bring his craft along side the hostile ship, if indemnified against her loss in case of capture by the enemy, to which proposition Maj. Tallmadge readily assented.

On the 20th of February, 1783, when the English sloop was at the point, the major placed forty-five men of his detachment, under the immediate command of lieutenants Rhea and Hawley, with Capt. Brewster's boat's crew of continental troops, on board of Capt. Hubbel's vessel, the whole to be commanded by Capt. Brewster.

Capt. Hubbel, taking the helm in person, sailed at two o'clock, P.M., and at four was within hail of the foe.

The American troops were kept concealed until the vessels were brought in contact.

As they neared, the enemy opened a broadside, which crippled their antagonist considerably in the mast and rigging; but Capt. Hubbel, with great presence of mind, brought her up gallantly to the work.

The troops, at a given signal, appeared on deck, discharged a volley of balls, and under Capt. Brewster boarded and carried the enemy at the point of the bayonet, "as in a moment," nearly every man on board being either killed or wounded.

Not one of Brewster's men were harmed, nor was the vessel materially injured.

In a few hours both vessels were moored in safety at Black Rock Harbor.

The affair being duly reported to Gen. Washington, he expressed his thanks to Maj. Tallmaldge by letter, ordered the condemnation of the prizes and the avails thereof to be distributed among the troops who captured it.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

In view of the disbanding the army, on the 10th day of May, 1783, a meeting of the American officers was had to organize the association, afterwards called "The Society of the Cincinnati," at which the Baron de Steuben, the senior officer, presided.

Generals Knox, Huntington, and Hand, and Capt. Shaw, were appointed to prepare a written form or constitution expressive of its object; and at a meeting had at the quarters of Steuben on the 13th of May, their report was adopted.

Of the State Society organized in the Connecticut line, Maj. Tallmadge was chosen treasurer for several years, and until he became its president.

Most of the state Legislatures granted acts of incorporation to these associations, but that of Connecticut refused a charter, and the society disbanded, giving the balance of its funds to Yale College.

In the summer of 1783, after preliminary articles of peace had been announced, Maj. Tallmadge, with the approbation of Gen. Washington, proceeded to New York, under the sanction of a flag, to grant that protection the times demanded, to such persons as had transmitted intelligence of the enemy's doings from time to time during the war, to Maj. T. and others employed by the Commander-in-chief to procure it.

Private emissaries, in other words secret spies, employed for years in the American service were thus protected against the insults of their countrymen, who, on entering the city, might otherwise have treated them with indignity, instead of merited respect.

Several Enoch Crosbys were secretly engaged in the Revolution in transmitting to Gen. Washington, as best they could, important information of the enemies movements in and around New York.

Maj. Tallmadge was with the troops under Gen. Washington, who entered New York on the day it was evacuated by the enemy.

On this occasion, Gen. Knox, at the head of a select corps, led the van of the American army.

"The Commander-in-chief, accompanied by Gov. Clinton, and their respective suites, made their public entry into the city on horseback, followed by the lieutenant governor and members of the council, the officers of the army, eight abreast, and citizens on horseback, eight abreast, accompanied by the speaker of the Assembly and citizens, on foot, eight abreast."

"So perfect was the order of march, that entire tranquility prevailed, and nothing occurred to mar the general joy."

Gov. Clinton gave a public dinner on the occasion, at which Gen. Washington and numerous other guests were present.

On the Tuesday evening following, a most splendid display of fireworks took place near the Bowling Green, at the foot of Broadway.

Maj. Tallmadge was also present, at Francis' Tavern in Pearl street, when Gen. Washington took final leave of his officers.

They assembled at 12 o'clock, M., soon after which Gen. Washington appeared.

After partaking of a little refreshment, in almost breathless silence, His Excellency filled his glass with wine, and turning to his companions in arms, thus addressed them: "With a heart full of love and gratitude, I now take leave of you."

"I most devoutly wish that your latter days may be as prosperous and happy as your former ones have been glorious and honorable."

The officers drank a glass of wine with him, after which he added: "I cannot come to each of you, but shall feel obliged if each of you will come and take me by the hand."

Gen. Knox, being nearest, grasped his hand, and they embraced each other in silence.

This was no doubt one of the most affecting interviews of the kind ever known.

Each officer, in turn, imitating the example of Gen. Knox, embraced their Commander, and saluted him with a kiss, while their tears mingled profusely with his Own.

Waving his hand to his comrades, he left the room, and passing through a corps of light infantry paraded to receive him, he walked in silence to Whitehall, where a barge waited his arrival.

His officers followed to the wharf, where a large multitude had assembled to see his departure, and there witnessed his last salutation, which was the waving of his hat above the boat.

On the return of peace, Maj. Tallmadge again visited his native place, where the patriotic citizens got up a festival, roasted an ox whole, and made the major master of ceremonies.

On the 16th of March, 1784, Maj. Tallmadge led to Hymen's altar, the eldest daughter of the Hon. Wm. Floyd, of Mastick, Long Island; after which he commenced the mercantile business in Litchfield, Connecticut.

He was much respected for his talents, and represented the district in which he resided in the councils of the nation.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

HISTORY OF SCHOHARIE COUNTY

by Jeptha R. Simms - 1845

CHAPTER XIX

Among the officers of the American army deserving of notice, was Captain Thomas Machin, engineer; distinguished alike for his mathmatical skill and patriotic bravery.

He was born March 20th, 1744, O. S., four miles from Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England.

His father, John Machin, a distinguished mathmatican, had two sons, John and Thomas.

The former was killed at the siege of some town near the outlet of the Red Sea; and the later was one of a corps of English cadets, which, with the British infantry became so distinguished for their bravery in the battle of Minden, Germany.

The cadets, or fencibles, as called, were almost annihilated in that battle, which took place between the allied army under Ferdinand and the French, in August, 1759.

The Duke of Bridgewater, who may justly be styled the father of the canal navigation of Great Britain, projected at his own expense a canal from the coal measures on his lands in the town of Worsley to Manchester, a distance of some ten miles; obtaining his first act for the same at the session of parliment for the winter of 1758 and 59.

A few years after he obtained an act for carrying a branch of it to Liverpool, nearly thirty miles.

The former canal was carried by a stone aqueduct over the river Irwell, forty feet above its surface, so that shipping might pass under it in the river; and the latter over the Mercer.

Those great works which were looked upon at their commencement by the incredulous as wholly impracticable, were prosecuted to completion under the direction of the celebrated engineer and mechanical inventor, James Brindley.

Soon after Brindley began those works, Thomas Machin entered his employ; and it is not surprising that under such a tutor, he, too, should have become a good practical engineer.

He was engaged in taking the levels for the Duke's canal; and as clerk paid off many of the laborers employed by Brindley.

After making a voyage to the East Indies, Machin sailed for America, and arriving in 1772, took up his residence in the city of New York.

The principal object of his voyage was to examine a copper mine in New Jersey.

After a short stay in New York, he went to reside in Boston, and evidently intended a permanent residence; as he warmly espoused the cause of the Bostonians against his "father land."

He was one of the celebrated Boston tea party of 1773.

He was engaged and wounded (in one arm) in the conflict on Bunker's hill, while acting as lieutenant of artillery.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

Mr. Machin received his first commission in the American service, as second lieutenant in the regiment of artillery, commanded by Col. Henry Knox, which was dated Jan. 18th, 1776.

That the patriots of Massachusetts were not only acquainted with Lieut. Machin's skill as an engineer, but actually called it into requisition in laying out the fortifications for the American camp around Boston, the following papers will show.

"Boston, June 19,, 1776--Wednesday evening."

"To Lieut. Machin, at Nantasket:"

"Sir--I informed the committee that you could go to Sandwich on the survey if it could be taken this week; in consequence of which, we agreed that you might set out as soon as you thought proper, and begin the survey, and that we would follow, and be there next Tuesday."

"I beg you would let me see you to-morrow evening, that the committee may hear what to depend on."

"Sir, your most humble serv't-"

"JAMES BOWDOIN."

"Lieut. Machin, the bearer hereof, being employed in y' Colony service, it is desired he may pass from hence to Sandwich and back without interruption."

"Boston, June 20, 1778."

"JAMES BOWDOIN."

"Camp at White Plains, August 9, 1778."

"These are to certify, that the subscriber, being Aid-de-Camp to Maj. Gen'l Ward, in the year 1776, while stationed at Boston: General Ward directed Lieut. Thomas Machin, of the Artillery, to act as Engineer to errect fortifications for the defence of the Town and Harbor of Boston, from the first of April, 1776, to the month of June following, which service he faithfully performed."

"JOSEPH WARD."

Owing to the skillful manner in which Lieut. Machin had discharged the important task of laying out the fortifications around Boston, he was selected by the Commander-in-chief for the arduous duty of securing the navigation of the Hudson through the Highlands, as the following paper will show:

"Head-Quarters, New York, 21st July, 1776."

"Sir--You are without delay to proceed to Fort Montgomery, or Constitution, in the Highlands, on the Hudson's River, and put yourself under command of Col. George Clinton, or the commanding officer there,--to act as Engineer in comtemplating such works as are already laid out,--and such others as you, with the advice of Col. Clinton, may think necessary: 'Tis expected and required of you, that you pay close attention to this business, and drive on the works with all possible despatch."

"In case of an attack from the enemy, or in any action with them, you are to join and act with the Artillery on that station; and to return to your duty in the regiment as soon as you can be spared from the works."

"I am, sir, your most humble serv't."

"GO. WASHINGTON."

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

To the letter of instructions we find wafered the following paper:

"Fort Montgomery, August 9th, 1776."

"A list of the carpenters that have entered into the Continental service under Capt. Burns: Stephen Concklin, Joseph Halsted, Joshua Sager, Silas White, John Young, John Homan, Gilbert Roberts, Barzilla Tuthill, Cornelius Van Vlack, James Scoldfield."

"Capt. Burns--The above persons belonging to your company, being Artificers employed in the works here, you are therefore to have them at this place to be employed by and under the direction of Mr. Machin, the Engineer."

"GEO: CLINTON, Brig'r Gen'l."

Gov. Clinton was promoted about the time Gen. Washington's directions to Lieut. Machin were dated, and having occasion to leave the works, he placed his brother, Col. James Clinton, in temporary command to oversee them, as the following paper will show:

"Fort Montgomery, 10th August, 1776."

"To Lieut. Machin--As I am now ordered to march with the new levies to Kings Bridge, and as you will want many necessaries for compleating the new works we have begun on the south side of Poplopin's Kill,1 and the works to be erected for securing the pass of Anthony's Nose."

"You are to use your best endeavors by all means in your power, (applying to Col. Clinton from time to time for his aid and advice) to purchase and procure such articles as may be wanted, of which the clerk of the Check is to keep a just account."

"The artificers already employed and such others as may be wanted, are, (in the erecting of these works) to be under your directions, for which purpose Col. Clinton will be given the necessary orders."

"I am your humble serv't,"

"GEO. CLINTON, Brig. Gen."

Gen. Schuyler early saw the necessity of obstructing the navigation of the Hudson in the Highlands to prevent the passage of British shipping to Albany; and communicated to the N. York Council of Safety his wishes on that subject, as the following papers will show: and as they are found among the papers of Capt. Machin, there can be no doubt but he was the person employed to make the requisite survey.

"Fishkill, Nov. 6, 1776."

"Gent.--I am directed by the Committee of Safety to transmit you the enclosed extract of Gen. Schuyler's letter, and to request that you'll cause his request to be immediately complied with."

"I am, gentlemen, with esteem,"

"Your very humble servant,"

"PIERRE VAN CORTLANDT, V. Pres."

"To the Gent. of the Secret Committee."

"Extract of a letter from Gen'l Schuyler directed to Peter R. Livingston, Esq. President, &c. dated Albany, Nov.3d, 1776.-- I wish the Convention would order the depth and breadth of Hudson's River to be carefully taken at such places as they conceive would be most proper effectually to obstruct the navigation; Verplanck's Point, or Jan Canten Hook, may be proper places; perhaps the latter."

("True extract.")

"ROBT. BENSON, Sec'y."

1 These works, when completed, were called Fort Clinton.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

Col. Rufus Putnam, an officer of merit, commanded the 5th Massachusetts regiment, and was promotted to Brig. Gen. near the close of the war.

He was wall-eyed.

The following paper from Col. Putnam 2 no doubt refers to the survey of the Hudson made agreeable to Gen. Schuyler's request.

"Peekskill, December 13th, 1776."

"Sir--I beg you will not delay sending a sketch of the North River through the Highlands, with a geographical description of the country on the west side; as I am going in a few days to wait on His Excellency with the best account of this part of the country that, without an actual survey, I am able to give."

"If you cannot send to me in two days, you must send it to His Excellency as soon as possible, for I can wait no longer."

"Sir, your humble servant,"

"R. PUTNAM."

"To Lieut. Machin, Engineer."

Jan. 7th, 1777, the State authorites took official cognizance of the doings of Capt. Machin, as appears by several resolutions on the "Journal of the Committee of Safety."

His commission dates his rank as Captain Lieutenant of U. S. Artillery, on the 1st day of January 1777, although it did not pass the office of the Board of War, until April 21st, 1780.

The succeeding papers directed "To Capt. Thomas Machin, at Murder's Creek," one of which was without date, were evidently written while the navigation of the river was being obstructed, in 1777.

"To Capt. Machin:"

"Sir--I have already directed that no more timber should be cut on Mr. Ellison's land for the obstructions to be made in the river, (except it should be such long walnut pieces as could not be so conveniently had anywhere else,) until a proportionate share of timber for that use was also got on lands lying equally near the river."

"I am surprissed, therefore, to hear that a company of carpenters are in his woods cutting away timber of every kind, which I trust must be without your order or knowledge."

"He is willing you should take such long walnut pieces as you want and can't get as conveniently elsewhere; other kind of timber we certainly can, and more so."

"I expect, therefore, you will direct the carpenters to desist cutting in his woods till further orders from me."

"I am your most obed't serv't,"

"GEO. CLINTON."

"New Windsor, 31st Jan'y. 1777

"Dr. Sir--I set out for Kingston to-morrow morning, where business will detain me for a few days."

"I wished to have seen you before I set out."

"I cannot now expect it."

"I think the artificers neither go out early enough in the morning, or continue late enough in the evening, at work."

"I was surprised this day to see many break off a little after three in the afternoon."

"It was said they had not been home to dinner, but allowing that to be the case, from nine in the morning until three in the afternoon is not by any means a day's work."

"To cure this mischief I enclose you an order which you'll publish among those employed, and endeavor to carry it into execution."

"If you think the hours are too long, make any alteration you think right; but pray, whatever hours are fixed on, contrive to make them work."

"I am in great haste your most obed't,"

"GEO. CLINTON."

"Capt. Machin."

"Orders to be observed by the artificers and others employed in obstructing the navigation of Hudson's river, 13th Jan'y, 1777."

"As high wages are given by the public at this season of the year, when the days are short and the weather fickle, in order to have this most necessary work (on which not only the safety of this State, but of the whole continent depends,) completed in due season:--It is therefore expected that those who are employed and receive the public's money, will be faithful in the service and do the most they can."

"It is the business of the master workmen who have contracted to carry on the work and taken the charge of small parties under them, to see that they are diligently employed and work faithfully."

"It is for this they are allowed extra wages, and it is expected that in this way they will earn, or in justice they cannot expect to receive it."

"The monthly pay rolls must be attested (if required,) by the master workmen, and an honest man can never return a man for a full day's pay who has not done a full day's work."

"This would be dishonest and punishable; but that every possible guard may be set against deception, and that all account for pay of artificers and others may stand fair and uncontrovertible, the engineer is to fix upon the hour in the morning at which all hands are to be at work--the hour they are to quit for dinner, the time when they are to return to work after dinner, and break off in the evening; and to cause the rolls to be called over by such person or persons as he shall appoint at those and such other times as he shall see fit; and mark the defaulters (if any,) that a proper deduction may be made from their wages."

"It is expected at present that those employed near the barracks will work at least eight hours every day, and those employed where the timber now lays, or at that distance, at least seven."

"The time for working each day to be lengthened when the days grow longer."

"GEO. CLINTON, B. Gen'l."

2 While Col. Putnam was on duty in the neighborhood of West Point, he ascended Butter Hill with a party of his troops, and with their aid succeeded in prying off from its summit a rock which weighed many tons. Started from such eminence, the immense mass came thundering down the mountain crushing the forest trees which impeded its onward course, and dashed into the Hudson. Sloops navigating the river sometimes pass it inland. Its course upon the mountain side was long visible from the water to the summit of the Hill, and was called PUTNAM'S PATH. The rock is called PUTNAM'S ROCK to this day. Some writers have fallen into the error of supposing the rock and its path called after Gen. Putnam.--Capt. Eben Williams.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

Opposite is the facsimile of a letter from Gen. Washington "To Brigadier Gen. Knox, commanding the corps of Artillery."

It was written during the visit of Capt. Machin to the Commander-in-chief, at his winter quarters:

The following paper, which is without date, was no doubt written about the time Gen. Clinton visited Kingston:

"Sir--I am informed that the Inhabitants of Kingston are desirous of making some Works for the Defence of their town."

"I approve of their intentions, and wish to give them every assistance in my power in the execution of this business; and that the works may be constructed on a Plan most efficient and least expensive, I request you will repair to that place and assist in laying them out, in which Col. Bruyn will advise."

"It will not be practicable, neither do I conceive it necessary to enclose the town, as the houses are stone, and will form (if the Windows and Doors are properly secured) good Lines of Defence."

"Small Redoubts or block-houses, therefore, at the different and most commanding quarters of the Town, are all that to me appear necessary; which ought to be constructed each for a Piece or two of artillery, so as to clear the lines formed by the houses; and when it can be, conveniently, these should be so contiguous to each other as to be within the reach of Musquetry, which will be a saving of Ammunition."

"In constructing these works, it is to be observed that Artillery against them is not to be apprehended."

"I am your most obed't serv't."

"GEO.CLINTON."

"Capt. Machin."

By the next paper we perceive that Capt. Machin was given discretionary power, by Governor Clinton, to act in certain emergencies:

"Dear Sir--I received yours of this date."

"I approve your conduct in marching your men against those Parricides, and no pains must be spared to apprehend or destroy them."

"Major Logan, and every other Officer in both Counties, I know, will exert themselves on this occasion in drawing out the Militia for quelling this dangerous insurrection; nor must any risk be run in taking prisoners."

"I am your most obd't serv't"

"March, 10th, 1777."

"GEO. CLINTON, B. Gen."

"P.S. A party will march towards the Forest of Dean, to guard the defiles there."

"To Capt. Thomas Machin."

"To Capt. Machin, at Capt. Nicholls'."

"Dear Sir--This will be handed to you by Mr. Chambers from Marble Town, who has come down with 6 or 7 carpenters, to be employed in our works; and in a few days I expect as many more will be here from that quarter as will complete his company to 12."

"As these are men who were engaged at our request, when the others misbehaved and quit work, they must be employed -- indeed, we can't have too many now."

"How you will find room for them I can't tell, but you are good at contrivance."

"I am your H. S."

"GEO. CLINTON."

"11th March, 1777."

The following paper, from Gov. Clinton to Capt. Machin, shows the preparation making for the enemy's reception in the Highlands:

"Dear Sir--Let one know immediately whether twelve Pounders, having the trunions broke off, can be quicker repaired by stocking them, or fixing new trunions to them."

"If the former way is the speediest and best, I beg you would come down here immediately and bring such Artificers with you as can do them directly."

"If the latter is the best, can't you spare Van Houton your Smith, to work a while at this business at Fort Constitution?"

"He shall be well used, and Barney will stay with him."

"On receipt hereof you will send down the two twelve Pounders at New Windsor, with the ammunition and stores belonging to them, to this Port."

"In their room I have ordered you the Brass 24 Pounder from Fishkill; it will suit you better, and you are to preserve her at all events; if she should be lost at your Port you will be in Disgrace forever."

"I expect you will have the 24 lbr. to-morrow at your Port."

"If you come here yourself on an alarm, you will take care to leave behind you some persons who can use the 24 lbr., and who will guard and save her."

"Gen. Putnam wants to know how you come forward with your Boom, and whether you meet any Obstructions in that Business which you did not forsee."

"I am your most obd't serv't."

"GEO. CLINTON."

"Fort Montgomery, 3d July, 1777.

"P.S. Wont your skow, well manned, bring the guns down quicker and easier?"

TO BE CONTINUED ...