ON THE ROOTS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION

thelivyjr
Site Admin

Re: ON THE ROOTS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION

Post by thelivyjr »

By a memorandum, found among the Machin papers, it appears that the sum of one hundred and fifty pounds was paid in one month for teams "Employed in drawing Timber for the use of the works Obstructing the navigation of Hudson River," under his individual direction.

Thirty shillings was the regular price paid per day for a teamster with two yoke of oxen.

In anticipation of an attack from the enemy, under Sir Henry Clinton, the following orders were issued by Gen. James Clinton:

"Head Quarters, Fort Montgomery, July 10th, 1777."

"The Signals to be given on the approach of the Enemy: On the firing of Two Cannon at Peekskill by Gen. Varnam one minute from each other; Two will be fired by Gen. Huntington; Two by Gen. Parsons; to be answered by Two at Fort Independence; Two at Fort Montgomery; Two at Fort Constitution: and the Beacon there to be fired as usual; to be answered by two from the Brass twenty-four Pounder, near New Windsor: upon this Signal, the Militia on the West side of Hudson's River, in the Counties of Orange and Ulster, as far up as Col. Harbrouk's Regiment, including the same, are to march by detachments, without further notice, as a Reinforcement of this Garrison, and the Militia on the East side of the River, as far up as Poughkeepsie, including Col. Freus' Regiment, to march for the reinforcing the Garrison under Gen. Putnam."

"This order is immediately to be published by the Commanding officer at Fort Constitution, and copies of it transmitted by him to Capt. Lieut. Machin, of the Artillery at New Windsor, that he may cause the same to be published there."

In the month of September Capt. Machin was engaged in the recruiting service, as his correspondence with Col. John Lamb, his commanding officer, doth show.

Early in October, to make a diversion in favor of Gen. Burgoyne, Sir Henry Clinton ascended the Hudson with his army, and succeeded, with a severe loss, in storming Forts Montgomery and Clinton, on the west bank of the Hudson, six miles below West Point -- one on either side of Poplopin's kill.

At the time of the attack on the former fort, Capt. Machin managed a heavy gun which did fearful execution in the ranks of the assailants.

As the army drew near the fort, late in the afternoon, Machin saw a man step from the ranks of the enemy and poise his musket to fire at him.

He had just prepared his ordinance for a discharge, loaded to the muzzle with round, grape and double headed bar shot, the latter projecting from the gun; as he caught the eye of the soldier who had raised his piece to fire on him.

Machin's gunner in the act of applying the match, was shot down by his side, and the former snatching the linstock from the hand of the fallen hero applied it to the gun, the contents of which mowed a fearful swath, causing the assailants to fall back.

At the instant the match was applied, Machin received a bullet in his body, and retired with the wounded.

The ball entered his breast and came out under his right shoulder.

A man who was aiding the wounded captain, near sundown, in his retreat, was shot and fell upon him, and it was with no little difficulty he extricated himself from his dying comrade.

It began to grow dark, when Machin asked a retreating soldier if he could not help him.

"It is a d-----d good fellow who can help himself," was the unfeeling reply, as the man passed on.

Capt. Machin was soon taken into a boat and thus made his escape.

On the morning following, Capt. Milligan of Orange county, who had been wounded the preceeding evening in one knee, was discovered near the river, by the enemy, of whom he begged for quarters; instead of granting which, his unfeeling foes bayoneted and threw him down the rocks.

While recovering from his wounds Capt. Machin was entertained at the house of Gov. Clinton, from whose family he received the kindest treatment.

The Americans, on losing Forts Montgomery and Clinton, abandoned Fort Constitution as untenable, leaving in their retreat considerable booty to the enemy.

Gen. Vaughan then ascended the river as far as Kingston, burning it and destroying a large quantity of military stores there collected; soon after which most of the army returned to New York city; evacuating the captured forts, but retaining and fortifying Stoney Point, a few miles below Forts Montgomery and Clinton.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

Early in December Capt. Machin was so far recovered from his wound as to be engaged in his regular duties, as the following Clinton papers will show.

"Little Britain, 1st Dec'r, 1777."

"Dear Machin--I wrote to Doctor Tappen and Maj. Billings some time ago to endeavor to provide me a house at or near Poughkeepsie, providing the legislature determined to meet at that place; since which I have not heard from them."

"Mrs. Clinton is anxious to get settled again, and as I believe Poughkeepsie would be her choice as well as the place where the legislature will meet, I will be much obliged to you if you will be kind enough to take a ride there, consult with Maj. Billings and Doct. Tappen, and concert with them -- endeavor to procure some convenient house for me."

"It will be no objection should it be a mile or two out of town."

"I offered Capt. Harris the use of my house this winter for his family."

"He thinks it would be too lonesome for her, [his wife.]"

"But as Mrs. Bedlow is not to move to New Windsor, suppose Capt. Harris was to move into my house and you was to make your lodgings with them; and indeed Capt. Harris will be at home great part if not the whole winter."

"Will you mention this to the captain?"

"I have a cot at my house out of which the militia stole the irons: will you get it repaired for me, as I have no other bed or bedstead."

"I am Dr. Sirs, yours sincerely,"

"GEO. CLINTON."

"P.S. If you go to Poughkeepsie advise me of it by a line. Maj. Taylor will furnish you with a horse for the purpose."

"Poughkeepsie, 13th Dec., 1777."

"Dear Machin--There are some mahogany boards in and about our mill which Mrs. Clinton brought from Capt. Nevin's, which I wish you would measure and secure me."

"You forgot to send my razors; pray let me have them by first good conveyance."

"Yours sincerely,"

"GEO. CLINTON."

"P.S. We are well."

"Mrs. Clinton's compliments to you."

"Poughkeepsie, 19th Dec'r, 1777."

"Dear Sir--I am much obliged to you for the wood, &c., you have sent me by Serg't Halsted."

"The sloop carries but six and a half cords of wood: I have therefore got but that quantity."

"The Sheep the sergeant tells me he put up in my stable and gave them in charge of some militia that were threshing: in the morning they were gone, so that I have not got them."

"I suppose, or at least it is likely, they stole them."

"I wish you would try to find them again, and when you come to see us throw them in the bottom of your slay [sleigh] and you shall eat part of them."

"Sam gave your saddle-bags to Col. Dubois' Bob, who promised to take care of them for you."

"Col. Taylor promised to send Mrs. Clinton two pots, which he has forgot; perhaps you may have an opportunity to send or bring them."

"As to my house and farm, I leave it entirely at your discretion and disposal."

"I wish to oblige Capt. Harris, but if he declines you can let it to who [whom] you please."

"I wish to have the timber saved as much as possible."

"I had letters from Head Quarters dated the 3d and 10th instant."

"No News there."

"Gen. Washington is anxious about securing the river."

"Putnam is ordered to turn his whole attention to that business, and will be up with his troups in a few days."

"Colonels Webb and Ely were taken in a sloop with about thirty men, crossing to Long Island, by an armed brig."

"Gen. Parsons has had a brush with the Hessians, beat them and took one field piece, it is said, but wants confirmation."

"Ensign Adamson about a week ago broke his parole and went off, but was fortunately taken with six other rascals, in Mile-Square -- two of them negroes he had seduced off."

"Mrs. Clinton joins in the best respects to you and love to Caty."

"I wish to see you soon."

"Yours sincerely,"

"GEO. CLINTON."

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

The following is the copy of a letter from Capt. Machin to the New York Council of Safety, preserved among his papers:

"To the Honorable Committee of New Windsor:"

"GENTLEMEN--It will be needless for me to point out to you the necessity of some speedy obstructions being made in Hudson's river, against gun-boats, galleys and small crafts that will probably come up at the first opening of the spring, and prevent our making such necessary works as may preserve the good people on the banks of the river, from the revenge of a merciless enemy (remember Kingston), towards effecting which, much time has already elapsed and but little done, which drives me to the necessity of applying to the Honorable Committee on this occasion."

"We shall want a large quantity of timber for the Chain, which cannot be got up the river on account of the frost; and when the frost breaks up it will be too late for our business."

"I shall not think it consistent with my duty to distress any individual by cutting all the timber off one man's land, and thereby render a good farm of little value; and I cannot always be with men in the woods: unless destruction may be made by them unless over seen by somebody to prevent it."

"For this purpose I should be glad if the Honorable Committee will appoint a Wood Ranger to oversee the business, that the Master Carpenters may apply to him for such timber as they shall receive orders to get."

"It ought to be a person in disinterested circumstances, a man of honor, resolution and stability."

"A compliance with this will much forward the present business and oblige--gentlemen,"

"You humble servant,"

THOS. MACHIN.

New Windsor, 22d Feb., 1778.

The following letter from Gen. James Clinton to Capt. Machin, is of a private rather than public character; and shows that some men even at that early day, were rather above their business: or had conceived that sickly modern notion of its being dishonorable or disgraceful to labor.

If it be honorable to disobey the commands of God, then indeed is it dishonorable to work--but if not--not.

"Little Britain, March, 4th, 1778."

"Dear Sir--I received your favor by Lieut. Strachan with a few lines from Col. Taylor inclosed, concerning a complaint that Capt. Young had made against Capt. Mills, (both of the Artificers,) but as Col. Taylor does not set forth what injury Capt. Mills has done Capt. Young, I can't give you any advice about the matter."

"I think your letter seems to confirm the charge against both of them; for what can stain an officer's character more than not doing his duty?"

"A captain of a company of artificers, if he does his duty, will have harder work than any of the privates, and I think you are answerable for their conduct, as you have the charge of the work; and if they don't do their duty you must arrest them, if nothing else will do."

"If they be gentlemen of such high spirits as to think it a scandal for them to work because they bear the title of captain, I think they might decide such disputes between themselves without troubling any officer with it."

"Inclosed you have Col. Taylor's report, and if I must give my opinion of the matter, let me know what stories Capt. Mills has propagated against Capt. Young."

"I am, Sir, Yours,"

"JAMES CLINTON, B.G."

The following papers will show the spring of 1778, like that of the preceeding year, to have been a very busy one in the Highlands of the Hudson:

"Sir:--As Col. Laradiere has left us, I wish you, if you can be absent from New Windsor for a day to come to this port to-morrow or the day after, to advise about the proper method of fortifying this place."

"From, Sir, your humble servant,"

"SAM'L H. PARSONS."

"West Point, 11th March, 1778."

"Monday afternoon, March 11th, 1778.

"My Dear Captain:--You will receive by the bearer some paper and all the white rope of the size mentioned we have."

"I have sent off Charley this minute to forward the cordage from Danbury, as well as from Fairfield, but can't say what size there is at the latter [place], as it is sent by Mr. Shaw, of New London, at the request of Gen. Putnam, who never told me the sizes he ordered."

"I believe there are no more cables to be expected of Mr. Ives till he gets more hemp--at least, I understood him so."

"In my letter to Gen. Putnam, I informed him, while he was in Connecticut, that all sizes would be wanted, and advised that the whole cargo should be bought."

"He referred the matter to Governor Trumbull, (and I imagine) the Governor to Mr. Shaw, who may, possibly, serve himself first."

"However, as I said before, Charles is gone to learn the true state of what is on the road, and forward it along."

"When he returns, which will be in two or three days, I expect, you shall hear further."

"I will wait on the general, and let you know his orders concerning the hands."

"Inclosed you have the general's order for the men required."

"I am, Dear Captain,"

"Yours in truth,"

"J. HUGHES."

"P.S. You have also an order on Sheaf at Wappinger's creek."

"Little Britain, March 20th, 1778."

"Dear Sir:--I expected to have been to see you before now, but the riding was so bad I deferred it a little while, as I want to go to the West Point."

"I send my boy for the papers if they are come."

"I suppose you begin to ketch[catch] some fish this fine weather; if so I would be glad you would send a few up here--and you will oblige, Yours,"

"JAMES CLINTON."

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

The following paper, which is without date or signature, is in the hand writing of Gov. Clinton, and was filed by Capt. Machin as received from him March 20th, 1778:

"Mr. Machin will write to Samuel Bronson, at Goshen, to know if he has any knowledge of a lead mine in the mountains, about nine miles off the river, of which he once spoke to Thos. Smith, Esq."

"Mr. Machin will also go to Wawarsink and see the mine there now working by one McDonald, and what prospect there is of working it to purpose."

"It is said there is a lead mine near Mamecottang [Mamakating, as now written], and one on this side of Shawangunk mountains, of which make inquiry -- of the latter from Col. Palmer, the former from everybody."

"Mr. Wisner has the samples of them; get those from him-----in those of Wasink in Dutchess and-----." [Several words at the close of this paper are rendered unintelligible.]"

"Sir--if 'tis possible to spare any timber from the creek, I beg you to order it rafted immediately for this place, where we are in the greatest need of it; it ought not to be delayed a moment, our information being of a nature which requires immediate attention to compleating the batteries. [Probably in the vicinity of West Point.]"

"Your obedient serv't,"

"SAM'L. H. PARSONS."

"3d April, 1778."

The following is the copy of a letter from Capt. Machin to Gen. McDougal, which shows when the chain, which was stretched across the Hudson at West Point, was completed.

"Honored Sir--Lieut. Woodward who I told you was at Sterling iron works inspecting the chain, is now returned, and informs me that seventeen hundred feet of the Great Chain, which is equal to the breadth of the river at the place last fixed upon, is now ready for use."

"The capson [capstan] and docks are set up at the lower place; the mud blocks are launched and only wait for good weather to carry them down: four cannon, twelve and nine pounders are at the beach, also waiting for weather to go down: four more will be ready by Saturday; and if no unforseen accident should appear, I shall be able to send down four cannon next week."

"If the weather should be favorable, I am in hopes we shall be able to take the chain down all fixed in about 6 days."

"Lieut. Woodward was ordered by Ge, Parsons to assist me at those works, and as he is a gentleman well skilled in mechanical powers, and a person of steady application, it will put me much out of the way to have him removed at this time."

"Should therefore be glad if you will continue him in the work, as somebody must be in his place, and to take an entire stranger at this time will be onerous and dangerous."

"I am, dear sir,"

"Your humble servant,"

"THOS.MACHIN."

"The Honorable Maj. Gen. McDougal."

"April 20th, 1778."

"Poughkeepsie, 3d May, 1778."

"Dear Sir--I received your letter of yesterday and am happy to learn that the chain is across the river, and that you had the good fortune to accomplish it so expeditiously and so much to your satisfaction."

"I am informed that old Mr. Teabout, who lives (or did lately) at Van Deuzens, near the Clove, has a phaeton that he will dispose of."

"If so, and it is a neat, good one, as I am told it is, I wish to buy it, provided it can be had at a reasonable price."

"A new one used to cost about L80."

"I would be willing to give something more now."

"Will you call and take a look at it -- know the price, and if good and reasonable purchase it for me."

"The sooner you see it the better."

"Yours sincerely, GEO. CLINTON."

"Capt. Machin"

The following paper tells credibly for the skill and character of Capt. Machin:

"I hereby certify that about the middle of July, 1776, Capt. Machin, of the Artillery, came to Fort Montgomery, and by the direction of His Excellency, Gen. Washington, was there employed in laying out and errecting works for the defence of that place, and for securing the pass to Anthony's Nose, until towards the latter part of August, when Gen. James Clinton took the command of that post."

"That in December following, Capt. Machin was employed in constructing chevaux-de-frize for obstructing the navigation of Hudson's river, opposite Pollopel's island; and that he continued in that business, sinking the same, making the necessary preparations for fixing the chain across the river at Fort Montgomery, and occasionally superintending the works at that place, until some time in June 1777, when Gen. Putnam took the command of the army in the neighborhood of the North river, and by his orders Capt. Machin was employed in constructing and making booms to draw across the river in front of the chain, till the reduction of that fort by the enemy, at which time he was badly wounded."

"And I have reason to believe, that upon his recovery he has been steadily employed to this time in the necessary preparations for fixing the new chain across the river, completing one of the booms, the chevaux-de-frize, and raising the galley which was sunk on the enemy's advance up the river."

"In justice to Capt. Machin I am bound to add, that while he was under my command he discovered great diligence and industry in forwarding the different works committed to his care, and that in the execution of them he experienced an uncommon share of labor and fatigue, being often necessarily exposed to work in the water in very cold weather."

"Given under my hand at Poughkeepsie, this 17th of August, 1778,"

"GEO. CLINTON."

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

The expenses of placing obstructions in the Hudson at the Highlands, were necessarily very great.

An account current, in the hand writing of Capt. Machin, shews an indebtedness (before deducting assets,) of the Quarter Master General, to Noble & Townsend, proprietors for the Sterling Iron Works," for some 135 tons of iron wrought into booms, bolts, clips, chains, swivels, clevises, bands, &c., of fourteen thousand eight hundred and sixty-nine dollars and eighty nine cents; nearly all of which is accredited in the latter part of the year 1777.

Another memorandum among the Machin papers, which is headed "A general abstract of several companies of Artificers employed in the works obstructing the navigation of Hudson's River, under the direction of Capt. Thomas Machin, Superintendent," gives the footing of the Payrolls for the labor of Twelve companies of artificers, which amounts to eleven thousand eighty-nine dollars and fifty cents: the longest term for which any of the Rolls was made being from Dec, 1776, to the first of June, 1777.

After the enemy evacuated Fort Montgomery, and the Americans began to repair those works in the fall of 1777, a dock, anchor and booms, for obstructing the river at that place, were again constructed by Capt. Machin as engineer, agreeably to the orders of Gen. Putnam, as his papers show.

The iron of which the mammoth chain used at West Point was manufactured, was wrought from ore in equal parts from Sterling and Long Mines, Orange county, N. Y.

The links of this chain weighed from 100 to 150 pounds each. The whole chain weighed 186 tons. 3

This chain was buoyed up in the middle of the river by several large spars, secured a few feet apart by strong timbers framed into them, upon which the chain rested.

Every Fall it was drawn on shore by a windlass and the float taken out - both being replaced early in the Spring. - (Capt. Eben Williams.)

The chain, as may be supposed, was properly fastened on shore at the ends.

Several writers have promulgated an error by stating that a chain was stretched across the Hudson, at West Point, in the Autumn of 1777.

A chain of half the diameter of the one placed at West Point, in the Spring of 1778, was drawn across the river near Fort Montgomery, in Nov., 1776.

This chain, which, agreeably to the letter of Peter Townsend already quoted, was made at the Ringwood Iron Works, New Jersey, and composed of cold short iron, was broken by the enemy in the fall of 1778.

The West Point chain crossed the river just above the Point to Constitution Island, a distance of some 1500 feet.

It was guarded by a strong battery, erected at each end to command its approach, and was never molested by the enemy.

The following letter, found in the correspondence of the Provincial Congress of N. Y., shows the result of the survey, made agreeably to the request of Gen. Schuyler, in the Autumn of 1776:

"Nov. 22, 1776."

"In consequence of a letter received by us, the subscribers, members of the secret committee, from the Committee of Safety dated the - day of November instant, when we were at Fort Montgomery fixing the chain across the river, enclosing an extract from Gen. Schuyler, requesting the Convention to have the river sounded in different places in the Highlands, we have sounded the river, beginning between Verplanck's and Stoney Point, thence northward through the Highlands to Pollopel's Island, and find no part of the river in that distance less than eighty feet deep in the main channel, till within a short distance of the island."

"From the island to the western shore, we found, by measurement, the distance to be fifty three chains; the channel near the middle of the river at that place, is about eighty chains broad, and about fifty feet deep; from the channel the water shoals gradually on both sides to the flats, which are about eight or ten chains broad, reckoning both sides."

"This above described plane is the only one, in our opinion, that it is possible for an obstruction to be made by docking, effectually to impede the navigation of Hudson's river, at any place above the south part of the Highlands."

"HENRY WISNER,"

"GILBERT LIVINGSTON."

3 Report of W. Horton, assistant Geologist in 1838, on the geology of Orange county.

In addition to the above, I glean the following facts from a letter from Peter Townsend, Esq, of New York, to Mr. Franklin Townsend, of Albany: the latter gentleman is a great grandson of Peter Townsend, of Chester, the principal contractor for manufacturing the chain. The Sterling Iron Works, in Sterling, Orange county, are situated 25 miles back of West Point, and have been in extensive operation since about the year 1750. Col. Timothy Pickering, who was entrusted with the responsibility of making the chain, accompanied by Capt. Machin, arrived at the house of Mr. Townsend, in Chester, late on a Saturday evening, early in March, 1778. The latter gentleman readily agreed to construct the chain, and such was their zeal in the popular cause, that the parties left Chester at midnight, in a violent snow-storm, and rode to the Sterling works, a distance of fourteen miles, to commence the job. At daylight on Sunday morning, Mr. Townsend had all his forges in operation, and the chain was begun. The work went on without interruption, the herculean task was finished, and the chain, carted in sections by New England teamsters, delivered at West Point in six weeks.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

In accordance with the survey made as above certified, chevauxdefrize were sunk in the river between Pollopel's Island and the west bank of the river, under the direction of Capt. Machin.

The chain which guarded the river near Fort Montgomery, parted twice soon after it was fastened.

The following certifies to the accident:

"Fort Montgomery, Dec. 9, 1776."

"These are to certify that the chain that has been stretched across the North river at this fort, has been broke twice; the first, a swivel broke, which, came from Ticonderoga, which was not welded sound; the second time, a clevin broke, which was made at Poughkeepsie, in a solid part of the chain, and no flaw to be seen in any part of said chain."

"Which we do certify at the request of Messrs. Odle and Vanduzer."

"JAMES CLINTON, B. GEN."

"ABM. SWARTWOUT, CAPT."

"JAS. ROSECRANS, CAPT."

"DANL. LAWRENCE, LIEUT. "

This chain, which was stretched across the river from Fort Montgomery to Anthony's Nose, was 1800 feet long.

The State Committee authorized Capt. Machin to alter it or change its place.

Below the chain he placed a boom.

Of those works the historian Botta thus observes "They were remarkable for their perfection, and had been executed with equal industry and difficulty."

Several writers have stated that skillful engineers were sent out by the King of France to explore the Highlands of the Hudson, and locate suitable defences; that they superintended the erection of forts and obstructions along the river, for which they were never paid.

This is all untrue.

The Continental Congress recommended a survey of the Hudson, and the erection of several batteries in the Highlands, as early as May, 1775.

In June following, Col. James Clinton and Christopher Tappen were appointed by the Provincial Congress of New York to designate sites, and having reported to that body, it resolved to build them.

Commissioners to superintend the construction of the works were selected from the delegates, of which number John Berrien acted as commissary.

Bernard Romans, then a pensioner from the British crown, was employed to act as engineer, and entered upon the duties in the latter part of September.

Fort Constitution, situated on "Martelair's Rock Island," afterwards called Constitution Island, in the east side of the Hudson, just above the West Point, was then commenced.

Some Difficulty having arisen between the engineer and commissioners, a special committee visited the works in December, to reconcile the existing differences.

They censured the course of the engineer in not consulting the commissioners - disapproved of the plan adopted, as too expensive for the benefits likely to accrue, and recommended the erection of defensive works at Poplopins' kill.

Romans continued at Fort Constitution until some time in the winter.

In January, 1776, the erection of a battery, to mount 30 guns, was commenced by Thomas Grennell, one of the commissioners, on an eminence 714 yards east of West Point, to command the stretch of the river above and below it, about which time a battery, to mount eighteen heavy cannon, was begun on a gravel hill, 500 yards eastward of Fort Constitution, and 1700 north of the other battery, intended to cover the fort and scour the West Point.

In Feb., 1716, Capt. Smith, Gen. Lee's engineer, succeeded Mr. Romans, and began the construction of Fort Montgomery, on the north chop of Poplopin's kill, 6 miles distant from Fort Constitution: and soon after, Fort Clinton, on the south side of the kill was commenced.

Application having been made in June, 1776, to Gen. Washington for an engineer, by the Provincial Congress of New York, he agreed to send them one "who would take the whole direction of the works in the Highlands, "whereupon the commissioners were discharged from further service.

The engineer sent, as has been shown, was Capt. Thomas Machin.

The correspondence inserted will serve to show the reader, to some extent, the duties performed by Capt. Machin in the Highlands.

Under his direction, forts Montgomery and Clinton were completed, and several other forts and batteries along the river planned and erected, and the navigation obstructed.

After the enemy destroyed forts Montgomery and Clinton, the latter were never rebuilt, but a strong fortress was placed on West Point, (the present site of the military academy,) and given the same name.

Above, and commanding this fort, stood Fort Putnam, the ruins of which are still visible, and on an eminence, half a mile south-west of the former, was a strong redoubt called Fort Willis.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

Early in Jan., 1778, John Sloss Hobart, Henry Wisner, John Hathorn, and Zeph. Platt, delegated for that purpose by the State Congress, Generals Putnam and George Clinton, the Lieut. Col. of Engineers, Capt. Machin, and several other military gentlemen, met at Poughkeepsie, to consult about fortifying and obstructing the Hudson; and the works located at and near West Point, were placed there in accordance with their views.

Generals Schuyler, Lee, Sterling, and a few other officers, were also consulted on some occasions, about fortifying the river.

The following letter from Doct. Freeman, shows Capt. Machin still engaged in the valley of the Hudson.

"Sandwich, August 10th. 1778."

"Dear Sir-Your favor by Mr. Williams I received, also one before, am very glad to hear you are well, and employing your ingenuity and abilities in such a glorious cause, and with such promising aspects."

"Your chest of books and instruments are safe here, and ready to be delivered to your order at any time, and should be very happy to see you here yourself, which hope shall have opportunity for ere long."

"Mr. Williams can tell you all ye news from this quarter, to whom I refer you."

"He manifests a great regard for you, and any favor you can show him will meet my sincerest gratitude, as he is my neighbor and friend."

"Your letters give me much satisfaction, and would have been answered before, but for want of opportunity."

"As often as you write me you will greatly oblige your affectionate friend and humble serv't."

"N. FREEMAN."

"Mrs. Freeman sends her compliments, &c.."

"P. S. Our report respecting the channel was seasonably made and in favor of it, but nothing done."

Lieut. Woodward, mentioned by Capt. Machin as being his assistant at West Point, became after they separated his constant correspondent.

The following is one of his letters.

"White Plains, 5th Sept. 1778,"

"Dear Captain-This is the fourth time of my writing without hearing or receiving from you."

"I believe you to be buried by this."

"Give me joy; I am ordered to join Capt. Walker, who is annexed to Gen. Huntington's Brigade near the Artillery Park."

"We live exceedingly happy on rum, beef and bread."

"The board of officers are sitting to settle the rank of the regiment, which makes me sorry you are not present."

"I waited on Gen. Parsons yesterday, who expressed surprise that you had not got down yet."

"Your Company does duty with Capt Wool's in Gen. Clinton's Brigade."

"Your lads are all well and want to see you."

"Our Captains are all high for rank."

"I hope you will not forget my foiles, but send them down by the first opportunity."

"I should be very glad if you can send down my ward, which is in my chest at Mr. Fraser's."

"Give my tender regards to Mrs. Logan and the Maj. if returned - also to all your friends as well as mine."

"Your friend,"

"PETER WOODWARD."

In a bill of expenses for extra services, Capt. Machin rendered in 1778, are the following items: "Exploring Hudson's River from the 1st day of Jan. with 7 men 6 days, Ł6 10 0; expenses of getting down the chain logs with 40 men 4 days, Ł6 0 0; expenses in raising the Lady Washington galley at Kingston creek 20 days, Ł9 10 6."

This vessel was purposely sunk on the enemy's approach the preceding October.

In the years 1777 and 1778, Capt. Machin paid out, independent of sums already named, as appears from the vouchers among his papers, between thirty and forty thousand dollars - mostly for obstructing the River.

The usual price paid carpenters per day was $0.93 3/4 -- foreman $1.50: blacksmiths from $1.37 1/2 to $1.50 -foreman $2: artificers same as blacksmiths: shipwrights $1. 50-foreman $2.12 1/2, and captains of companies $3.

"Joshua Marriner, super-instructor of the artificers, employed in making carriages and stocking cannon," had $2 per day.

Men employed in the summer of 1778, in burning coal to be used in preparing obstructions for the River, received 7s. 6d, or 93 3/4 cents per day.

The burning of coal from January to August of that year amounted, as appears by vouchers, to two hundred and forty dollars.

A few pounds of sole-leather used in making pump boxes to aid in raising sunken vessels, was paid for at the rate of $1.25 per pound.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

As appears from Capt. Machin's papers, he acted in the latter part of 1776, and early part of 1777, under the direction of Gov. Clinton: in the latter part of that year and early part of 1778, under that of Maj. Gen. Putnam; and in the summer and autumn of 1778, under that of Brig. Gen. Parsons.

To secure the passage of the Hudson through the Highlands against the enemy's shipping, was considered of most vital importance; and its principal direction being assigned to Capt. Machin, tells credibly for his skill and integrity.

In the spring of 1779, as a part of the meditated invasion of the Indian country in New-York by Gen. Sullivan; Col. Van Schaick marched to Onondaga, as I have shown, to destroy the possessions of that nation.

The following journal of that transaction action is on file among Capt. Machin's papers.

"Early on Monday morning, 19th of April, 1779 - Marched from Fort Schuyler with a detachment of troops consisting of 558 men including officers; and after marching [putting] eight days provision into bateaus which had been conveyed over the carrying place in the night, and leaving a sufficient number of soldiers to assist the bateaumen to get the boats down Wood Creek, with five officers to hurry them on - the remainder of the troops marched to the old scow place, twenty-two miles by land, but much more by water: the troops arrived by 3 o'clock P. M., but the boats did not all arrive until 10 o'clock, having been much obstructed by trees which had fallen across the Creek."

"As soon as the boats arrived the whole of the troops embarked, and on entering the Onidahogo [Oneida Lake], was much impeded by a cold head wind."

"Made one halt in the night for the rearmost boats to come up, and then proceeded to Posser's Bay, where we arrived at 8 o'clock in the morning of the 20th, to wait again for the coming up of the boats, when we continued with as much expedition as possible to the Onondaga Landing opposite the old fort, and arrived there at 3 o'clock P. M. from whence, after leaving the boats with proper guard, we marched eight or nine miles on our way to the Onondaga settlement and lay on our arms all night without fire, not being able to continue our marching - dark - the night cold."

"Very early on the 21st proceeded on to the old Salt Lake, and at 9 o'clock A. M. forded an arm of that Lake two hundred yards over and four feet deep a considerable part of the way: pushed on to the Onondaga Creek, where Capt. Graham with his company of Light Infantry took an Onondaga warrior prisoner, which was the first Indian we had discovered."

"Ordered Capt. Graham to endeavor to surround the first Onondaga settlements which were about two miles off, and hastening on the troops by companies as fast as he crost the Creek upon a log - the Creek not being fordable."

"I soon arrived with the whole detachment at the principal Castle, but was before apprised of their having discovered our advanced parties while they were taking some prisoners, upon which I ordered different routes to be taken by several different detachments in order to surround as many of their settlements as possible at the same time, which extended eight miles in length, with some scattered habitations lying back of the coasts and on the opposite side of the Creek; but notwithstanding, entered their first settlement in the most secret manner and quite undiscovered by them."

"They soon received the alarm throughout the whole and fled to the woods, but without being able to carry off any thing with them."

"We took thirty-three Indians and one white prisoner, and killed twelve Indians - the whole of their settlement consisting of about fifty houses, with a quantity of corn and every other kind of stock we found were killed [destroyed] - about one hundred guns, some of which were rifles, were among the plunder, the whole of which, after the men had loaded [themselves] with as much as they could carry, was destroyed, with a considerable quantity of ammunition: one swivel taken at the Council House had the trunnions broken off and otherwise damaged: in fine, the destruction of all their settlements was compleat, after which we begun our march back recrossing the Creek, and forded the arm of the Lake alongside of which we encamped on very good ground; having been once interrupted in our return by a small party of Indians who fired at us from the opposite side of the Creek, but were soon beat off by Lieut. Evans' riflemen, with the loss of one killed on the part of the enemy and none on ours; unfair weather all this day."

"22d marched down to the landing; found bateaus in good order; reembarked and rowed down to the Seven Miles' Island where we encamped - fair weather."

"23d, crossed the Lake and landed two miles up Wood Creek; at two o'clock left two companies to guard and assist the bateaumen in getting up the boats - marched eight miles and encamped alongside Feals Creek - fair weather."

"Saturday 24th, small shower of rain on our march to the Fort, where we arrived at 12 o'clock; having been out five days and a half, the whole distance of going out and returning being one hundred eighty miles, not having lost a single man."

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

In May, 1779, Capt. Machin was engaged in taking a water level between Albany and Schenectada, with a view of supplying the former city with water.

He submitted a plan for this object to the city corporation, with drawings to show the manner in which an aqueduct and reservoir should be constructed.

Agreeable to his table of levels, a mark on a post at the watering trough at Bratt's half-way house, was 277 feet 3 53/100 inches above the city hall wharf.

The first mile stone out of Albany was 211 feet 5 25/100 inches below the mark at Bratt's.

Capt. Machin, as engineer, was in Sullivan's expedition to the Genesee valley in 1779.

At Canajoharie he received one, and at Otsego lake the other, of the following letters from Dr. Young.

"Dear Sir - Yours of the 21st by Doct. Maus came safe to hand this forenoon, and gives me the greatest pleasure to find things are conducted with spirit."

"The fortunate capture and immediate execution of Lieut. Hare, will, I hope, produce good consequences, as it will convince the enemy, that we have spirit enough to retaliate, and chastise them for their savage barbarity."

"The surgeon of Hazen's regiment writes Doct. Stringer, that Hazen, with about half the regiment are within 40 miles of St. Johns, that many Canadians had joined him, that the Canadians in bulk (a few of the lowest of the people excepted,) are strongly attached to the cause of the Americans."

"That two French frigates have lately made their appearance in St. Paul's Bay, near Isle a Caudre, and that no English vessels had arrived this season, which causes some to imagine that the French have a fleet in the river."

"The news from Charles Town, I think may be depended upon - as soon as it comes officially from Congress, I will transmit it to you by the first opportunity."

"Continue to write, and expect the most material occurrences in our quarter in return."

"Two members of Congress, viz: Doct. Weatherspoon and Col. Atlee passed thro' this place to the state of Vermont, on Monday; probably to deliver to them [Vermonters] the sentiments of Congress concerning their separation from this state."

"Please to present my compliments to the gentlemen of the Artillery Corps, and believe me to be with sincere esteem,"

"Your Friend and Serv't."

"JOS. YOUNG."

"Albany, June 22d, 1779."

"Dear Sir-I acknowledge the receipt of yours of the 25th inst., and am happy to hear that every thing has succeeded so well hitherto - hope your may glide on in the same current of good fortune, till the end of a glorious campaign, and return to Albany crown'd with unfading laurels."

"Another acct. of our success over the enemy at Charles Town is arrived, the particulars of which will be transmitted to the Gen. by Capt. Lush."

"A Pennsylvania paper is in town, containing a speech of one Gordon, in the house of Commons, equal in freedom and smartness to Junius's letters - could I procure it, I would inclose it."

"Our little fleet in many late instances has demurr'd to the claim of the haughty Britons, to the universal empire of the sea; and have convinced some of them that their claim was not well founded, by a most powerful train of well directed arguments, leaving them high and dry at anchor in the state house at Philadelphia."

"One of the British litigants never put in a plea, but suffered judgment to pass against him by default."

"D'Estaing's and the English fleets, are both out at sea of nearly equal numbers, and in sight of each other; by which circumstance it is conjectured there will be much chopping of logic, and many learned and forcible arguments made use of pro and contra, when the pleas are closed, 'tis said a jury of surgeons meet to decide upon the merits of the cause in question: when I receive their verdict I will transmit it to you - as it may have a tendency to elucidate some points, that are at present under the consideration of the literati, both at St. James' and Philadelphia."

"Till which I am"

"Your friend and servant,"

"JO. YOUNG."

"Albany, June 27th, 1779."

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

The folIowing extracts are from a letter to Capt. Machin while at Otsego lake:

"The southern news still remains without a confirmation from Congress."

[The southern news alluded to by Young and Rutgers was no doubt the abortive attempt of the British army under Provost, to capture the city of Charleston, S. C., about the middle of May.]

"Though there is not the least doubt of its being true."

"The enemy are yet at King's Ferry."

"A few days since it was thought they were coming up; as some heavy cannons are arrived from the eastward, I think we shall be in tolerable good order to receive them, if ever they get in earnest about it."

"Gen. Washington is at New Windsor and quarters at Col. Ellison's."

"The park of artillery I hear is at Chester, and the infantry scattered in the defiles of the mountains near the garrison."

"The inhospitable mountains not suffering the army to remain in their usual compact order."

"Your most obedient, &c.,"

"HENRY RUTGERS, Jun. "

While under Sullivan, Capt. Machin executed a handsome map of Cayuga and Seneca lakes, with the distances on the way out at intervals of one mile each, from Tioga Point to the end of the route, which terminated nearly sixty miles west of the outlet of Seneca lake; and back to the starting place. 4

While Sullivan's army was in the Indian country an incident occurred to which I have before alluded, some additional particulars of which may prove interesting.

An advance party which was opening a road for the army and protected by a strong covering party, were attacked by Kayingwaurto, a Seneca chief; with eighty-two warriors.

The guard instantly ran to rescue the advance and a skirmish ensued in which that chief and two of his followers were slain.

The enemy, from the noise and impetuosity of the attack, supposing the whole army was upon them, fled precipitately, leaving their packs, blankets, kettles, &c.

Upon the person of this Seneca chief was found a pocket book which contained two papers of interest.

One was a certificate of which the following is very nearly a copy.

"This may certify that Kayingwaurto, the Sanake Chief, has been on an expedition to Fort Stanwix and has taken two scalps, 5 one from an officer and a corporal that were a gunning near the fort, for which I promise to pay at sight, ten dollars for each scalp."

"Given under my hand at Buck's Island."

"JOHN BUTLER, Col. and Supt. of the Six Nations and the Allies of his Majesty."

It having been asserted in Congress, after the War, that there was no evidence of the fact that the British government authorized the payment of money for scalps, the certificate of Col. Butler to Kayingwaurto, known by one of the New York members to be in Machin's possession, was sent for, and was accordingly forwarded to the seat of government: the evidence it contained was satisfactory that Britain did buy American scalps, and thus the controversy ended.

The other paper found in the pocket book of the Seneca Chief, filed "Convention of Whyoming,"is an original manuscript under the hand and seal of John Butler and Kayingwaurto, the seal of the latter being the figured emblem of a turtle.

"Westmoreland, 5th July, 1778."

"This doth hereby certify that Lieutenant Elisha Scovell has surrendered his garrison with all his people to government, and to remain as neutral during this present contest with Great Britain and America; in consideration of which, Col. John Butler, Superintendent of the Six Nations of Indians, their allies, &c., with Kayingwaurto, the chief of the Sanake [Seneca] Nation and the other chief warriors of the Six Nations, do promise, that they shall live in the quiet possession of their places with their families and shall be daily protected from insult as far as lies in their power, and provided that they should be taken it is our desire that they may forthwith be released."

"[L.S.] JOHN BUTLER"

"[Device of Turtle.] KAYINGWAURTO."

4 The route pursued as marked upon this map crosses Spring creek near the Tioga, into which it empties, twenty one miles from its mouth, and passing up the west side of that stream a few miles, struck the head waters of Seneca creek. The route continued some five or six miles along the west side of the creek, then crossing, was continued upon its eastern side with one exception at an angle, to "French Catharine's Town," situated in a bend of the creek three or four miles from its mouth. From Catharine's Town the route led along the east side of Seneca lake crossing at a little distance from the lake, twenty-five small streams which ran into it along its eastern shore. Eleven miles from the outlet, probably in the present town of Ovid, they destroyed an Indian village situated on the north side of a small creek, and called on Machin's map "Candia." Crossing the outlet of Seneca lake, the army proceeded westward, and a few miles from the lake destroyed "Kanadesago," the largest of the Seneca towns.

5 Those scalps were obtained by this Indian in the following manner. In the summer of 1777, Capt. Greg left Fort Stanwix, or as then called Fort Schuyler, one afternoon with a corporal also of that garrison, to shoot pigeons. Toward night the fowlers, when about to return to the fort, were fired upon by concealed foes. Greg, after receiving some blows on the head with a tomahawk, was scalped, an Indian drawing off the bloody trophy with his teeth. Securing also the scalp of the corporal who had been killed outright, the Indians withdrew. Partially recovering, Capt. Greg thought if he could pillow his aching head upon the body of his fallen comrade, it would be a source of relief and ease a dying hour; and after several attempts he succeeded in gaining that position: but to his great annoyance a little dog kept up a continual yelping and whining. The bleeding captain was too sick at heart to bear patiently the evidence of his dog's Sorrow, and addressed him as though a rational being. Said he, "If you wish so much to help me, go and call some one to my relief!" To the surprise of the sufferer, at the close of the command the dog ran off to three men belonging to the garrison, who were fishing nearly a mile distant, and by his pitiful moans attracted their notice. They doubtless knew whose dog it was, and as his appearance was unusual, they agreed to follow him and have the mystery solved. After following the dog for some distance, the sun being down and the forest dangerous, they were about to return, perceiving which the little messenger increased his cries, and seizing their clothes in his teeth endeavored to pull them toward the spot where his master lay. The fishermen now resolved to follow the dog at all hazards, and he soon led them to the scene of blood. The corporal was hastily buried, and the captain carried to the fort where his wounds were dressed with care - he was restored to health and narrated the above particulars to his friends. - Dr. Dwight.

TO BE CONTINUED ...