ON ENVIRONMENTAL HYSTERIA-MONGERING

thelivyjr
Site Admin

Re: ON ENVIRONMENTAL HYSTERIA-MONGERING

Post by thelivyjr »

9/23/2019

PAUL PLANTE:

And the real question of people's mind today is this what our climate change policy in America should be based on:

Climate activist Greta Thunberg addresses the UN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULmk8mhiClI

Your thoughts on her science, which I understand is the real deal science, would be appreciated.

Climate Science Program Manager at NOAA’s Air Resources Laboratory:

Unfortunately, I do not make policy, nor am I in a position to comment on US Government policy.

I just focus on the science and provide the best most objective information on climate science that I can.

It is then up to policymakers and citizens to make societal decisions what to do with this information.

I frankly do not know a whole lot about Greta Thunberg other than what I see on the nightly news, but my understanding from her is that she does not have her own science, but I have heard her say recently, "listen to the scientists".

So, if that is her view, then I would say my thoughts are, yes, sounds good to me.

I hope that I am one of those scientists that people will listen to.

I believe that I have provided you with the "real deal" science here, but then it is up to you to decide if this meets with your own cognitive thoughts on the issue.

Some people simply cannot get past the idea that CO2 is doing all of this, and that is fine, I can only do so much; again, people will have to decide, much as they do with other science issues like vaccinations, flat earth information, and evolution.

I do what I can on climate.

Hope that helps.

Regards.
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

BE SURE AND GET YOUR AFFAIRS IN ORDER TODAY SO YOU ARE NOT LEAVING ANY LOOSE ENDS BEHIND SUCH AS UNPAID BILLS WHEN THE WORLD ENDS …

AND AS WATER WARMS, IT HOLDS LESS CO2, NOT MORE AS THIS HIGHLY POLITICAL AND MISLEADING ARTICLE IMPLIES ...

AP NEWS

‘We’re all in big trouble’: Climate panel sees a dire future"

By SETH BORENSTEIN

September 25, 2019

NEW YORK (AP) — Earth is in more hot water than ever before, and so are we, an expert United Nations climate panel warned in a grim new report Wednesday.

Sea levels are rising at an ever-faster rate as ice and snow shrink, and oceans are getting more acidic and losing oxygen, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said in a report issued as world leaders met at the United Nations.

It warned that if steps aren’t taken to reduce emissions and slow global warming, seas will rise 3 feet by the end of the century, with many fewer fish, less snow and ice, stronger and wetter hurricanes and other, nastier weather systems.

“The oceans and the icy parts of the world are in big trouble, and that means we’re all in big trouble, too,” said one of the report’s lead authors, Michael Oppenheimer, professor of geosciences and international affairs at Princeton University.

“The changes are accelerating.”

The dire effects will be felt on both land and sea, harming people, plants, animals, food, societies, infrastructure and the global economy.

In fact, the international team of scientists projected for the first time that some island nations will probably become uninhabitable.

The oceans absorb more than 90% of the excess heat from carbon pollution in the air, as well as much of the carbon dioxide itself.

Earth’s snow and ice, called the cryosphere, are also being eroded.

“The world’s oceans and cryosphere have been taking the heat for climate change for decades."

"The consequences for nature and humanity are sweeping and severe,” said Ko Barrett, vice chair of the IPCC and a deputy assistant administrator for research at the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

The report found:

— Seas are now rising at one-seventh of an inch (3.66 millimeters) a year, which is 2.5 times faster than the rate from 1900 to 1990.

— The world’s oceans have already lost 1% to 3% of the oxygen in their upper levels since 1970 and will lose more as warming continues.

— From 2006 to 2015, the ice melting from Greenland, Antarctica and the world’s mountain glaciers has accelerated.

They are now losing 720 billion tons (653 billion metric tons) of ice a year.

— Arctic June snow cover has shrunk more than half since 1967, down nearly 1 million square miles (2.5 million square kilometers).

— Arctic sea ice in September, the annual low point, is down almost 13% per decade since 1979.

This year’s low, reported Monday, tied for the second-lowest on record.

— Marine animals are likely to decrease 15%, and catches by fisheries in general are expected to decline 21% to 24%, by the end of century because of climate change.

“Climate change is already irreversible,” French climate scientist Valérie Masson-Delmotte, a report lead author, said at a news conference in Monaco, where the document was released.

“Due to the heat uptake in the ocean, we can’t go back.”

But many of the worst-case projections in the report can still be avoided, depending on how the world handles the emissions of heat-trapping gases, the report’s authors said.

The IPCC increased its projected end-of-century sea level rise in the worst-case scenario by nearly 4 inches (10 centimeters) from its 2013 projections because of the increased recent melting of ice sheets in Greenland and Antarctica.

The new report projects that, under the business-as-usual scenario for carbon emissions, seas by the end of the century will rise between 2 feet (61 centimeters) and 43 inches (110 centimeters), with a most likely rise of 33 inches (84 centimeters).

This is slightly less than the traditional 1 meter (39 inches) that scientists often use.

And sea level will rise two to three times as much over the centuries to come if warming continues, so the world is looking at a “future that certainly looks completely different than what we currently have,” said report co-author Hans-Otto Portner, a German climate scientist.

The Nobel Prize-winning IPCC requires that its reports be unanimously approved.

Because of that, its reports tend to show less sea level rise and smaller harm than other scientific studies, outside experts said.

“Like many of the past reports, this one is conservative in the projections, especially in how much ice can be lost in Greenland and Antarctica,” said NASA oceanographer Josh Willis, who studies Greenland ice melt and wasn’t part of the report.

Willis said people should be prepared for a rise in sea levels to be twice these IPCC projections.

The world’s warm water coral reefs will go extinct in some places and be dramatically different in others, the report said.

“We are already seeing the demise of the warm water coral reefs,” Portner said.

“That is one of the strongest warning signals that we have available.”

Outside scientists praised the work but were disturbed by it.

“It is alarming to read such a thorough cataloging of all of the serious changes in the planet that we’re driving,” said Texas A&M University climate scientist Andrew Dessler.

“What’s particularly disturbing as a scientist is that virtually all of these changes were predicted years or decades ago.”

The report’s authors emphasized that it doesn’t doom Earth to this gloomy future.

“We indicate we have a choice."

"Whether we go into a grim future depends on the decisions that are being made,” Portner said.
___

Read more stories on climate issues by The Associated Press at https://www.apnews.com/Climate

Follow Seth Borenstein on Twitter at https://twitter.com/borenbears
___

The Associated Press Health and Science Department receives support from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute’s Department of Science Education. The AP is solely responsible for all content.

https://www.apnews.com/7fd1d533c53d46629c842d201145ab73
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

THE CAPE CHARLES MIRROR September 26, 2019 at 6:55 pm

Paul Plante says:

And here, today, based on what has happened in the last 24 hours, where some dude named Seth Borenstein, a self-professed “science writer” for the ASSOCIATED PRESS, read BULL**** ARTIST PEDDLING HORSE**** SCIENCE, published a sensationalist DOOM-AND GLOOM pulp fiction sci fi article entitled ‘We’re all in big trouble’: Climate panel sees a dire future” (SHUDDER, SHUDDER, BE VERY SCARED AND HOPE SETH CAN SAVE US) which sensationalist story, reminiscent of the headlines surrounding the famous science hoax, the Piltdown Man, in this case, is based on the hysterical ravings of some French woman nobody has ever heard of before named Valérie Masson-Delmotte, someone that Borenstein came up with in his travels, or perhaps created out of whole cloth like Lt. Kije, with her being over in France, of course, so that we Americans interested and knowledgeable about “climate science” have no access to her to question the HORSE**** she is quoted as spewing by Seth Borenstein in his sensationalist article, to wit: “Climate change is already irreversible; due to the heat uptake in the ocean, we can’t go back,” I think we all owe a sincere debt of gratitude to Wayne Creed and the Cape Charles Mirror, both of whom should be awarded “The Right Livelihood Award” or an “Alternative Nobel Prize” for having the courage to step up to the plate and provide a forum for those of us here in America who have been totally excluded from the private Borenstein drama going on over in France which has resulted in that hysterical woman over in France none of us have ever heard of from before becoming the centerpiece of this Borenstein pulp fiction sci fi novelette where Borenstein spins the silly and quite stupid, read, ignorant narrative that “The oceans absorb more than 90% of the excess heat from carbon pollution in the air, as well as much of the carbon dioxide itself” to address that horse**** in a public forum other than the Borenstein spin machine where we dissenters are denied entry.

I’m clueless myself as to what “carbon pollution in the air” is, and being as how Borenstein is telling the frightened children of America that the oceans, our oceans right here on earth which have been the subject of a fantastic National Geographic special on the oceans my little grand daughter loves to watch, absorb more than 90% of the excess heat from that carbon pollution in the air, so I would like to invite Seth Borenstein, the AP SCIENCE WRITER, to come in here and explain to us just exactly what that means in scientific terms we Americans can understand, since we are being told that we in the country now have to sacrifice greatly to save the French from the error of their own ways, heating up their water as they have done, so that it is now heating the oceans, which in turn is killing the coral and fish species and whales, and is causing the ocean to emit CARBON DIOXIDE to the atmosphere as the ocean heats up, thanks to thermal waste from France, which is causing these high CO2 levels we are now seeing, just as science predicted would happen if everyone started using the waters of the earth connected to the ocean as a giant heat sink, a place to send waste heat in the form of thermal energy, which is responsible for the changing climate, as predicted by science.

And bring the hysterical French lady, as well, Seth!

We would love to hear more from her, as well as to have the opportunity to cross-examine her and her evidence before we responsible Americans allow her horse**** from France to come into the minds of children in America to scare them and make them stupid.

http://www.capecharlesmirror.com/news/t ... ent-181408
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

THIS POOR LITTLE GIRL IS SO DELUDED …

SHE KNOWS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT THE PEOPLE OF AMERICA, OR PEOPLE IN GENERAL FOR THAT MATTER, BEING THE PAMPERED DAUGHTER OF MULTI-MILLIONAIRES AS SHE IS …

AND HER SCIENCE SHE WANTS US TO ACT ON IS IMMATURE CHILDISH GARBAGE …

IT IS BASED ON HYSTERIA, NOT REASON, BECAUSE THIS LITTLE GIRL FEELS FEAR EVERY DAY AND THUS CANNOT THINK DISSPASSIONATELY AND RATIONALLY …

AND IN HER INSECURITY AND PARANOIA, SHE THINKS IT IS SHE THAT IS BEING MOCKED, WHICH IS WRONG ...

IT IS HER JUNK SCIENCE THAT IS BEING MOCKED, JUST AS IT SHOULD BE BY A RATIONAL, INTELLIGENT PEOPLE LIKE THE AMERICANS ..

And so ...

MARKETWATCH

"Greta Thunberg says adults who deride her climate activism fear the demise of their worldview"

By Associated Press

Published: Sept 27, 2019 5:09 p.m. ET

TORONTO (AP) — Swedish teenager Greta Thunberg said Friday that she doesn’t understand why grown-ups and world leaders would mock children and teens for acting on science, responding to jibes about her campaign as students conducted a second wave of global protests demanding action on climate change.

When asked about U.S. President Donald Trump and others who have mocked her, the 16-year-old activist said they likely feel their worldview and interests are being threatened by the climate activism of herself and others.

“That we should take as compliment that we are having so much impact that people want to silence us,” she said at a rally in Montreal after meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

“We’ve become too loud for people to handle so people want to silence us.”

The youth climate movement has drawn criticism from some who accuse the students of overreacting and say they would be better off going to school.

In an apparent sarcastic jibe at Thunberg this week following her haranguing of world leaders, Trump tweeted: “She seems like a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future."

"So nice to see!”

Instead of addressing Trump by name, she said Friday that she didn’t “understand why grown-ups would choose to mock children and teenagers for just communicating and acting on the science when they could do something good instead.”

Her comments came as students in Italy symbolically torched a replica of planet Earth, one of many protests as part of the climate strikes sparked by the Swedish teen.

Some participants echoed the anger she expressed this week at a U.N. summit in New York.

“How dare you!” read one banner at a rally in Italy’s financial hub of Milan, where tens of thousands took to the streets and later gathered around a giant globe to watch it go up in flames.

More than 100,000 people also rallied in Rome, where protesters held up signs with slogans such as “Change the system, not the climate” or just the word “Future.”

Fears about the impact of global warming on younger generation s drew fresh protests in India, Spain, Portugal, Sweden, Finland and the Netherlands, a week after hundreds of thousands rallied worldwide ahead of the U.N. summit.

In New Zealand, students marched on Parliament in Wellington, staging one of the largest protests ever held in that capital.

In Berlin, activists from the Fridays for Future group braved persistent rain to denounce a package of measures that the German government recently agreed on to cut the country’s greenhouse gas emissions.

Experts say the proposal falls far short of what’s needed if the world’s sixth-biggest emitter is to meet the goals of the landmark 2015 Paris climate accord.

Actor Javier Bardem joined dozens of young people in San Sebastian in one of several demonstrations and rallies held across Spain on Friday morning ahead of evening demonstrations in the major cities where big crowds are expected, especially in Madrid and Barcelona.

Bardem was promoting a documentary he worked on with Greenpeace.

In Austria, organizers said 150,000 people participated, while local APA news agency said the number was 65,000.

In Canada, Thunberg met with Trudeau, who praised her activism on climate change.

“She is the voice of a generation, of young people who are calling on their leaders to do more and do better,” Trudeau said.

“And I am listening.”

Trudeau, who is in the middle of an election campaign, announced a plan to plant 2 billion trees over the next decade.

Thunberg, however, indicated that she expects more, even of leaders who welcome the movement.

Scientists this week issued new dire warnings about the consequences of rising temperatures on the world’s oceans and cold regions.

“[Trudeau] is of course obviously not doing enough, but this is just a huge problem, this is a system that is wrong,” she said.

“My message to all the politicians is the same: Just listen and act on the science.”

Thunberg told a crowd in Montreal it was moving to see people of all generations so passionate for a cause.

“I am very excited to be here and it is going to be very much fun today to once again stand together, people from all around the world for one common cause."

"That is very empowering,” she said.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/greta ... latestnews
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

THAT RACING SAILBOAT GRETA USED TO CROSS THE ATLANTIC IS MADE OUT OF CARBON FIBER WHICH RELEASES 20 TONS OF CO2 PER TON OF CARBON FIBER IN THE MAKING OF IT …

SO MUCH FOR HER EMISSIONS-FREE CROSSING OF THE ATLANTIC …

IT WAS HARDLY SO ...

WHAT HYPE!

WHAT CRAP!

AND AS MUCH AS GRETA MIGHT WISH IT OTHERWISE, HUMAN BEINGS DO NOT HAVE SUCH CONTROL OVER THE EARTH AS TO STOP ITS CLIMATE FROM CHANGING …

SORRY, GRETA, BUT LIKE THE REST OF US, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO LEARN TO ADJUST …

THE WASHINGTON POST

"A Fox News guest called Greta Thunberg ‘mentally ill.’ The network apologized for the ‘disgraceful’ comment."

Allyson Chiu

24 SEPTEMBER 2019

Michael Knowles had just finished discussing why he believes meatless diets may be worse for the environment during a Fox News segment about climate change on Monday night when he suddenly pivoted to one of the day’s biggest stories.

“None of that matters because the climate hysteria movement is not about science,” said the conservative pundit and Daily Wire podcast host.

“If it were about science, it would be led by scientists rather than by politicians and a mentally ill Swedish child who is being exploited by her parents and by the international left.”

The 16-year-old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg crossed the Atlantic via racing yacht instead of flying by plane to join protests and a United Nations summit in the United States.

Knowles, much to the dismay of many viewers and his fellow Fox News guest, was referring to teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg, who just hours earlier made headlines for delivering an impassioned message to global leaders at the United Nations.

The 16-year-old has been open about being diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome, embracing it as her “superpower.”

Amid the intense blowback over Knowles’ remarks Monday night after a clip of the show went viral, Fox News apologized to Thunberg.

“The comment made by Michael Knowles who was a guest on The Story tonight was disgraceful — we apologize to Greta Thunberg and to our viewers,” a spokesperson for the network told The Washington Post in a statement.

Fox News also said it has “no plans” to book Knowles.

Knowles did not respond to a request for comment late Monday, but defended himself on Twitter, writing, “There is nothing shameful about living with mental disorders."

"What is shameful is exploiting a child — particularly a child with mental disorders — to advance your political agenda.”

Thunberg has called the condition a “gift” and credited it with sparking her activism.

“Some people mock me for my diagnosis."

"But Asperger is not a disease, it’s a gift."

"People also say that since I have Asperger I couldn’t possibly have put myself in this position."

"But that’s exactly why I did this,” she wrote on Facebook in February.

“Because if I would have been ‘normal’ and social I would have organized myself in an organisation, or started an organisation by myself."

"But since I am not that good at socializing I did this instead."

"I was so frustrated that nothing was being done about the climate crisis and I felt like I had to do something, anything.”

The network’s apology comes as conservatives have ramped up their broadsides against Thunberg, who traveled to the United States earlier this month on a solar-powered sailboat and has since been chastising powerful politicians about their inaction on climate change.

In a widely reviled tweet over the weekend, conservative commentator Dinesh D’Souza compared Thunberg to young people featured in Nazi propaganda, sharing a photo of the Swedish teen alongside an illustration of a Caucasian girl sporting braided hair and holding a Nazi flag.

On Monday, Sebastian Gorka, the former Breitbart editor and White House aide, labeled Thunberg as an “autist child.”

Even President Trump weighed in late Monday with a tweet that many took as sarcastic.

“She seems like a very happy young girl looking forward to a bright and wonderful future,” Trump tweeted shortly after 11:30 p.m., sharing a video of Thunberg delivering her fiery address at the U.N. climate summit.

“So nice to see!”

Knowles made his statements about Thunberg while appearing on the “The Story with Martha MacCallum” and his description of the teenager instantly sparked a rebuke from liberal radio host Christopher Hahn, who had also been invited on as a guest.

“How dare you?” Hahn could be heard interjecting.

When Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner, who was filling in for MacCallum, gave Hahn the floor, he tore into Knowles.

“You’re a grown man and you’re attacking a child,” Hahn said.

“Shame on you.”

The pair then began talking over each other as Knowles insisted he wasn’t going after Thunberg, but rather “attacking the left for exploiting a mentally ill child.”

“Now, relax, skinny boy,” Hahn barked, eliciting a noise of surprise from Faulkner and a chuckle from Knowles.

“Have some couth when you’re on television."

"Maybe on your podcast you get away and say whatever you want because nobody’s listening."

"You’re on national television."

"Be a grown-up when you’re talking about children.”

Hahn later added: “You are despicable for talking about her like that."

"You should apologize on national television right now.”

Meanwhile, Knowles stuck to his talking point that Thunberg is “mentally ill,” pointing to a family memoir that recounted details from the teenager’s childhood.

“She has autism,” he said.

“She has obsessive compulsive disorder."

"She has selective mutism."

"She had depression."

"Her mother wrote about this in a book.”

Ignoring Hahn’s barbs, Knowles told the radio host, “You can inveigh all you want, but unfortunately, you don’t have many facts on your side.”

The heated exchange, which lasted more than two minutes, quickly spread on social media Monday night.

By early Tuesday, one video of the short segment had amassed more than 1.6 million views.

Critics denounced Knowles’ comments, which also drew swift backlash from autism advocacy organizations.

“To intentionally demean any person, regardless of neuro-diversity, is both cruel and wrong,” the Autism Society said in a statement to the Hollywood Reporter.

“Certainly some might disagree with Ms. Thunberg on policy issues, but it is shameful to issue a derogatory statement to a youth advocate.”

Julia Bascom, executive director of the Autistic Self Advocacy Network, told THR that it is “absolutely unconscionable to attack someone for their disability, especially when that person is a child.”

“History is full of autistic people and people with other cognitive disabilities who were and are compelling, credible activists and leaders,” Bascom said.

“Greta is a part of that tradition, and our community is lucky to have her."

"Period.”

But others supported Knowles, including fellow conservative pundit Ann Coulter.

“SPECTACULAR!!!!” tweeted Coulter about Monday’s segment.

Despite Fox News’s apology, the segment featuring Knowles and Hahn wasn’t the last time Monday night that Thunberg was mentioned on the network.

Hours later on her show, Fox News host Laura Ingraham played a clip of Thunberg speaking at the climate summit and compared the teen to characters in the 1984 horror film “Children of the Corn,” based off a novel by Stephen King.

“I can’t wait for Stephen King’s sequel, ‘Children of the Climate,’” Ingraham said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/a-fox- ... id=HPDHP17
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

THE CAPE CHARLES MIRROR September 29, 2019 at 6:50 pm

A CAPE CHARLES MIRROR EXCLUSIVE

“When Greta Thunberg met Paul Plante: Two voices on the climate speak for the first time”

GRETA: My message is that we’ll be watching you.

PLANTE: HUH?

Watching me do what?

And who exactly is it that is going to be watching me?

What is this all about, anyway?

Who are you?

GRETA: This is all wrong.

PLANTE: What’s all wrong?

What on earth are you talking about?

GRETA: I shouldn’t be up here.

PLANTE: Uh, okay, and who am I to disagree with you, especially when you seem to have your own ideas as to what is best for you to do.

GRETA: I should be back in school on the other side of the ocean.

PLANTE: (getting more and more confused and perplexed by what this little girl is saying while scratching his head, searching for a proper reply to that assertion) Uh, okay.

GRETA: Yet you all come to us young people for hope.

Who is the “you all” you are talking about there that comes to you young people for hope?

What’s that all about?

GRETA: How dare you!

How dare me?

How dare me what?

What on earth are you talking about?

GRETA: You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words.

PLANTE: Now, young lady, I have no idea where you have gotten that idea from, that I have in some way stolen your dreams and your childhood, but let me tell you right now that you are dead wrong.

I have no idea whatsoever as to what dreams of yours might have been stolen, but let me assure you that as a grandfather, I do not go around stealing the dreams of little girls like yourself, nor do I steal their childhoods.

To the contrary, I do everything I can to enhance their childhoods by keeping them healthy, so they can have dreams.

So if somebody has stolen your dreams and your childhood, let me take pains here and now to assure you that it was not me.

GRETA: And yet I’m one of the lucky ones.

PLANTE: Okay.

GRETA: People are suffering.

PLANTE: People have always been suffering – that seems to be a part of life.

Look at me, an old man crippled up by war wounds from a long time past, and I am suffering chronic pain, and yet, I do not let it trouble me overmuch, as that is mind-crippling to do so, and I do that by remaining positive and having hope for tomarrow based on right actions today, such as not eating the seed corn and not crapping in your own nest.

You know, waste not, want not?

Haven’t you ever heard that before?

GRETA: People are dying.

PLANTE: Uh, okay.

But isn’t that what people do in life?

Not to be flip about it, but people have been dying since I was young, and I am a lot older than you are, and they were dying in droves before that, by the millions going back in time as far as I can go.

So dying seems to be a part of living, does it not?

Or do you think that somehow, people can be immortal and live forever?

GRETA: Entire ecosystems are collapsing.

PLANTE: They are?

Where is that happening?

GRETA: We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth.

PLANTE: Whoa!

Now you have really lost me.

What is this mass extinction actually going to be of?

Everybody and everything?

Are you talking about a mass extinction such as occurred during the earth’s Miocene Epoch, when kelp forests appeared for the first time, as did sea otters and other critters unique to those environments, while such ocean-going mammals as the Desmostylia went extinct, and grasslands first appeared, and mammals and birds in particular developed new forms, whether as fast-running herbivores, large predatory mammals and birds, or small quick birds and rodents?

Or perhaps you are referring to the Pleistocene Epoch, whose biotas were extremely close to modern ones with many genera and even species of Pleistocene conifers, mosses, flowering plants, insects, mollusks, birds, mammals, and others surviving to this day, and yet, the Pleistocene was also characterized by the presence of distinctive large land mammals and birds to include mammoths and their cousins the mastodons, longhorned bison, saber-toothed cats, giant ground sloths, and many other large mammals that characterized Pleistocene habitats in North America, Asia, and Europe where native horses and camels galloped across the plains of North America and great teratorn birds with 25-foot wingspans stalked prey and then around the end of the Pleistocene, all these creatures went extinct?

Is that the mass extinction you are talking about?

Or a different one?

I’m confused …

GRETA: How dare you!

PLANTE: Whoa, young lady, no offense intended, I was just trying to find out what mass extinction you were talking about, but if it offends or upsets you, we don’t have to talk about it now.

GRETA: For more than 30 years, the science has been crystal clear.

I’m on.

Which science?

And what has it been clear about?

That there was a mass extinction at the end of the Pleistocene?

I think in reality it has been clear about that for over a hundred years now, to be truthful.

GRETA: How dare you continue to look away and come here saying that you’re doing enough, when the politics and solutions needed are still nowhere in sight.

PLANTE: Look away?

Look away from what?

I really would like to help you here, little girl, but this conversation is really turning weird!

GRETA: You say you hear us and that you understand the urgency.

PLANTE: Are you perhaps confusing me for somebody else?

What is it that I am supposed to understand the urgency of?

That the climate is changing and winter is coming?

That it is time to make sure that you have enough firewood to get through the next five or six months until hopefully, the warmth comes back again?

That its time to harvest the potatoes so we have something to eat besides roots and berries during the winter freeze?

Believe me, little girl, having lived in a harsh climate for many years now, and having been through blizzards and ice storms and cold down to 30 below the Fahrenheit zero, and having felt what is like to live in an old farmhouse with no automatic central heat, where you spend the winters huddled in a little ball under a down quilt freezing and hoping you will live to see another morning and that some day the cold and clouds would depart and the sun would shine again, I do understand the urgency, very well.

GRETA: But no matter how sad and angry I am, I do not want to believe that.

GRETA: Because if you really understood the situation and still kept on failing to act, then you would be evil.

PLANTE: No, young lady, if I failed to act, I wouldn’t be evil; I would be found frozen stiff after having starved to death, which would be stupid on my part, not evil.

GRETA: And that I refuse to believe.

PLANTE: Be my guest.

GRETA: The popular idea of cutting our emissions in half in 10 years only gives us a 50% chance of staying below 1.5 degrees [Celsius], and the risk of setting off irreversible chain reactions beyond human control.

But if we are setting off irreversible chain reactions beyond human control, exactly what is it you expect us to do to stop them?

How do humans control something humans have no control over?

Something in the math is eluding me there.

GRETA: Fifty percent may be acceptable to you.

PLANTE: Fifty percent of what?

And where have you ever heard me say that I was in favor of fifty percent of something?

Do you mean that old sage advice I give out that half a loaf is better than nothing when you are poor and starving?

GRETA: But those numbers do not include tipping points, most feedback loops, additional warming hidden by toxic air pollution or the aspects of equity and climate justice.

PLANTE: Which numbers?

Look, I’d really like to help you if I could, but this conversation is becoming totally incomprehensible to me, because you talk about things without ever saying what those things you are talking about really are.

What tipping points?

What feedback loops?

When you talk about “additional warming hidden by toxic air pollution,” exactly what is it that you are talking about there?

Can you be more explicit?

And aspects of equity and climate justice?

What on earth is climate justice?

That is a term I have never heard before in my life.

How is that going to be achieved?

And by whom?

I’m curious about that, because I was born poor and now I am old and still poor, and in all that time, I have ever seen the climate give a damn, pardon the language, about being just to anyone, or at least not the poor folks like me.

As far as the climate is concerned when it comes to poor folks is that we are very much on our own, and if we fail to survive, the climate keeps on keeping on because it flat doesn’t care if we live or die – that is solely up to us.

GRETA: They also rely on my generation sucking hundreds of billions of tons of your CO2 out of the air with technologies that barely exist.

PLANTE: My CO2?

What about your CO2?

GRETA: So a 50% risk is simply not acceptable to us — we who have to live with the consequences.

PLANTE: We who have to live with the consequences?

Consequences of our actions?

Isn’t that all of us?

Or are some somehow exempt?

GRETA: To have a 67% chance of staying below a 1.5 degrees global temperature rise – the best odds given by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change – the world had 420 gigatons of CO2 left to emit back on Jan. 1st, 2018.

PLANTE: Why?

GRETA: Today that figure is already down to less than 350 gigatons.

PLANTE: Okay, but here I have to simply take your word for what you are saying, because I frankly am lost here.

The math is making my head spin around.

GRETA: How dare you pretend that this can be solved with just ‘business as usual’ and some technical solutions?

PLANTE: So we are back to the “how dares you,” are we?

And what is it you think that I am pretending about?

What on earth is it that you are trying to solve, anyway?

GRETA: With today’s emissions levels, that remaining CO2 budget will be entirely gone within less than 8 1/2 years.

What then?

GRETA: There will not be any solutions or plans presented in line with these figures here today, because these numbers are too uncomfortable.

PLANTE: (very confused now) Look, I don’t know what you are talking about, or why you have picked me out to blame for whatever your problems really are, but you are getting angry here and you are scaring me.

GRETA: And you are still not mature enough to tell it like it is.

PLANTE: We are rapidly spinning off into outer space here, young lady, with these wild accusations of yours.

GRETA: You are failing us.

PLANTE: Uh, okay, have it your way, because I can see clearly that you are not going to have it be any other way, so there we are.

I have failed you.

At what?

GRETA: But the young people are starting to understand your betrayal.

PLANTE: My betrayal?

Seriously, young lady, you are truly becoming irrational and hysterical here, because I have betrayed no one.

GRETA: The eyes of all future generations are upon you.

PLANTE: Okay, I have no problems with that.

GRETA: And if you choose to fail us, I say: We will never forgive you.

PLANTE: Why do you think I would choose to fail you when I do not even know who you are?

Where on earth are you getting these wild and frankly paranoid ideas from?

Do you think I owe you something?

GRETA: We will not let you get away with this.

GRETA: Right here, right now is where we draw the line.

PLANTE: Sounds fine with me – do you need a pencil, or maybe a sharpened stick to draw your line with?

GRETA: The world is waking up.

PLANTE: And wouldn’t that finally be fine if they did, young lady!

Would be past time, would it not?

GRETA: And change is coming, whether you like it or not.

PLANTE: Young lady, I’m over 70 now, and you know what?

Change has been coming every day of my life, and if I live to be a hundred, it will still keep coming and in all that time, change has never bothered to ask me my opinion about it, probably because the poor folks like me never really get to have an opinion, now do we?

AND WITH THAT, THE EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW ENDS!

http://www.capecharlesmirror.com/news/w ... ent-182370
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

CLIMATE SCIENCE INVESTIGATIONS

Energy: The Driver of Climate

You have already learned that Earth's atmosphere is composed primarily of nitrogen and oxygen.

These gases are transparent to incoming solar radiation.

They are also transparent to outgoing infrared radiation, which means that they do not absorb or emit solar or infrared radiation.

However, there are other gases in Earth's atmosphere that do absorb infrared radiation.

These gases are known as greenhouse gases.

Below are the most important greenhouse gases that influence Earth's climate system.

Water vapor (H2O)

Water vapor (H2O) is the strongest greenhouse gas, and the concentration of this gas is largely controlled by the temperature of the atmosphere.

As air becomes warmer, it can hold more moisture or water vapor.

When the air becomes saturated (or holds as much moisture as the air can at that temperature), the excess moisture will condense into cloud droplets.

And if these droplets are large enough, they will fall as precipitation.

Carbon dioxide (CO2)

Carbon dioxide (CO2) is also an important greenhouse gas.

It has a long lifetime in Earth's atmosphere.

Carbon dioxide strongly absorbs energy with a wavelength of 15 μm (micrometers).

This makes carbon dioxide a good absorber of wavelengths falling in the infrared radiation region of the spectrum.

Carbon dioxide constantly moves into and out of the atmosphere through four major processes: photosynthesis, respiration, organic decomposition or decay, and combustion or the burning of organic material.

Methane (CH4)

Methane (CH4) is 30 times stronger than carbon dioxide as an absorber of infrared radiation.

Methane, however, is present in smaller concentrations than carbon dioxide, so its net contribution to the greenhouse effect is not as large.

Methane is also relatively short-lived (lasting approximately 8 years) in the atmosphere.

Methane is produced when bacteria decompose organic plant and animal matter in such places as wetlands (e.g., marshes, mudflats, flooded rice fields), sewage treatment plants, landfills, and the guts of cattle and termites.

Scientists are concerned about the concentration of methane increasing in regions where the Arctic and alpine permafrost is thawing and releasing methane as it warms.

Halocarbons are composed of carbon, chlorine, fluorine, and hydrogen.

They include chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which are man-made gases commonly used in refrigerators and air conditioners.

Concentrations of CFC gases in the atmosphere are the highest of any of the halocarbons, and they can absorb more infrared radiation than any other greenhouse gas.

The impact of 1 molecule of a CFC gas is equivalent to 10,000 molecules of carbon dioxide.

Nitrous oxide (N2O)

Nitrous oxide (N2O), a relatively long-lived gas, has increased in atmospheric concentration due mainly to agriculture.

Nitrate (NO3-) and ammonia (NH4+) are used as fertilizers.

Bacteria convert a small amount of this nitrate and ammonia into the form of nitrous oxide.

Internal combustion engines also produce nitrous oxide.

Ozone (O3)

Ozone (O3) is also a relatively minor greenhouse gas because it is found in relatively low concentrations in the troposphere (the lowest layer of the atmosphere).

In the troposphere, it is produced by a combination of pollutants — mostly hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxide compounds.

http://www.ces.fau.edu/nasa/module-2/ho ... -works.php
Pennsylvania Real-Time News

"Gov. Tom Wolf signs executive order to place Pennsylvania in multi-state carbon fee program"

By Charles Thompson | cthompson@pennlive.com

Updated Oct 03, 2019;

Gov. Tom Wolf signed an executive order that starts Pennsylvania on a path toward its biggest step yet in the battle to mitigate climate change, but it remains to be seen what kind of a “Green New Deal” will result.

Wolf signed the order Thursday directing his Department of Environmental Protection to start work on a set of regulations that would permit Pennsylvania to participate in the nine-state Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative.

The program, commonly known as RGGI, requires power plants in participating states to acquire credits for each ton of carbon dioxide they emit - essentially a pollution tax.

Carbon dioxide, a by-product of burning fossil fuels, is one of the most pervasive of the greenhouse gasses that are contributing to what scientists believe is a period of accelerated, man-made climate change.

The number of credits are reduced over time, forcing the energy markets to make a choice between steadily higher costs or diverting to cleaner power sources.

Wolf noted Thursday that the process ahead will take a year or longer, and he said he wants to encourage a big-table discussion with all affected stakeholders to try to make sure that Pennsylvania’s entry into RGGI is executed without damaging the state’s growing energy economy.

Pennsylvania, with is vast natural gas reserves and coal fields, would be the first state in RGGI that is a major fossil fuel energy producer.

“We know that we can not complete this process in a vacuum,” Wolf said.

"We know that the conversation that we’ve begun over the past year needs to continue if we are going to craft regulations that fit Pennsylvania’s unique energy mix."

“We need to make sure that the transition to a cleaner energy mix does not leave workers and communities behind."

"And it will take buy-in from the Legislature..."

"But we are committing today - I am committing today - to the steps necessary to move forward.”

It didn’t take long for the complexity of the debates ahead to show themselves.

Leaders of the Republican House majority stopped short of rejecting RGGI in a joint statement Thursday.

But they also criticized what they called Wolf’s “go-it-alone" approach, and vowed to use their powers to ensure that their constituents voices are heard.

House Republicans - as much as any caucus in the state legislature - have been a staunch ally of the state’s burgeoning natural gas interests.

“We believe the executive branch cannot bind the state into multi-state agreements without the approval of the General Assembly, and we plan to execute the fullest extent of our legislative power on behalf of the people of Pennsylvania,” the House GOP leaders said in a joint statement.

Sen. Gene Yaw, R-Lycoming County and the chairman of the Senate’s Environmental Resources and Energy Committee, agreed, and posed his own questions about whether RGGI is even the right fit for Pennsylvania.

When it comes to energy policy, Yaw said Thursday, "We have very little in common with New York, New Jersey, and the New England states..."

"How can we have a common interest with New York and the New England region when they prohibit the importation of our gas?"

"They thumb their nose at Pennsylvania gas and embrace and purchase gas from Russia."

"For a step of this magnitude, which affects consumers, business, industry and public policy the legislature, who represents the citizens of this state, must be involved in the dialogue on joining RGGI."

"It cannot be a unilateral decision,” Yaw said.

Wolf acknowledged the work ahead.

“This is the beginning of this," the governor stressed, "and I’m looking forward to a robust conversation with the General Assembly, with environmental advocates, with Pennsylvanians all across the state to figure out how we do this right.”

Wolf earned instant praise for getting the ball rolling from leading environmental advocates, some of whom have criticized Wolf for being too hesitant on the climate change front in the past.

“After the climate strikes and U.N. Climate Summit in recent weeks, many Pennsylvanians wondered what could be done right here in our state," said David Masur, executive director of PennEnvironment Research and Policy Center.

"Gov. Wolf is providing a bold answer."

"Given a choice between living in the past with dirty fuels or being on the right side of history, Pennsylvania’s leaders are showing they’re ready to do what’s right and protect our communities and future generations across the state.”

“Governor Wolf is putting Pennsylvanians on the path to a cleaner, more prosperous future,” said Mark Szybist, a senior attorney with the Natural Resources Defense Council.

"Joining this regional effort would not only curb climate pollution, it would also jump start the state’s transition to a clean energy economy."

"This is a win for strong climate action.”

Leaders of the state’s largest business organization, the Pennsylvania Chamber of Business and Industry, said they appreciated Wolf’s call for a big-table approach.

“We encourage legislative input and an analysis of costs to ratepayers and the industry in order to ensure that the Commonwealth’s approach to greenhouse gas regulations is balanced... without stifling potential economic growth,” said Chamber President and CEO Gene Barr.

"Climate change is real and so is the need to have the business community at the table to discuss solutions and consider the tradeoffs.”

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/10/g ... ogram.html
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

According to the EPA, approximately one ounce of carbon dioxide is emitted for each ounce of polyethylene (PET) produced.

PET is the type of plastic most commonly used for beverage bottles.

Other sources pin the production ratio of carbon emissions to plastic production closer to 5:1.

PRESS RELEASE

"Governor Wolf Takes Executive Action to Combat Climate Change, Carbon Emissions"

October 03, 2019

Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today took executive action instructing the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to join the Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI), a market-based collaboration among nine Northeast and Mid-Atlantic states to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and combat climate change while generating economic growth.

“Climate change is the most critical environmental threat confronting the world, and power generation is one of the biggest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions,” said Governor Wolf.

“Given the urgency of the climate crisis facing Pennsylvania and the entire planet, the commonwealth must continue to take concrete, economically sound and immediate steps to reduce emissions."

"Joining RGGI will give us that opportunity to better protect the health and safety of our citizens.”

Participating states have agreed, either through regulation or legislation, to implement RGGI through a regional cap-and-trade program involving CO2 emitting electric power plants.

These states (Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont) set a cap on total CO2 emissions from electric power generators in their states.

In order to show compliance with the cap, power plants must purchase a credit or “allowance,” for each ton of CO2, they emit.

These purchases are made at quarterly auctions conducted by RGGI.

The most recent RGGI auction held September 4th resulted in an allowance price of $5.20 per ton.

The proceeds from the auctions are allocated back to the participating states in proportion to the amount of carbon subject to regulation in each state.

“This initiative represents a unique opportunity for Pennsylvania to become a leader in combatting climate change and grow our economy by partnering with neighboring states,” said Patrick McDonnell, secretary of the Department of Environmental Protection.

“As a major electricity producer, Pennsylvania has a significant opportunity to reduce emissions and demonstrate its commitment to addressing climate change through a program with a proven track record.”

The RGGI states have reduced power sector CO2 pollution by 45 percent since 2005, while the region’s per-capita GDP has continued to grow.

Through its first six years of existence, RGGI investments were found to return $2.31 billion in lifetime energy bill savings to more than 161,000 households and 6,000 businesses that participated in programs funded by RGGI proceeds, and to 1.5 million households and over 37,000 businesses that received direct bill assistance.

Pennsylvania exports nearly a third of the electricity it produces, and the cost of RGGI compliance for exported electricity will be paid by electric customers in the states where that electricity is ultimately used.

“We know that we can’t complete this process in a vacuum."

"The conversation we’ve begun over the past year needs to continue if we are going to craft regulations that fit Pennsylvania’s unique energy mix, while making sure that the transition to a cleaner energy mix doesn’t leave behind workers and communities our state has relied on for decades to produce its power,” said Gov. Wolf.

“And it will take buy in from the legislature to ensure we’re protecting Pennsylvanians from the increasing effects of the climate crisis.”

Reducing CO2 emissions as part of combatting climate change is a top priority for the Wolf Administration.

In January, Governor Wolf signed an executive order to set Pennsylvania’s first statewide climate goals, aiming to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 26 percent by 2025 and by 80 percent by 2050, compared to 2005 levels.

The scientific consensus is the planet is experiencing climate change in real time, and the impacts are felt everywhere.

In 2015, the Pennsylvania Climate Impacts Assessment Update found that Pennsylvania has undergone a long-term warming over the prior 110 years, and that current warming trends are expected to increase at an accelerated rate with average temperatures projected to increase an additional 5.4 degrees by 2050. Average annual precipitation has also increased by approximately 10 percent over the past 100 years and, by 2050, is expected to increase by an additional 8 percent.

The numerous negative effects of these warming and wetting trends are currently being experienced in Pennsylvania.

Last year was the wettest year on record in the commonwealth, and these increases in rainfall resulted in extreme weather events and flooding throughout the state costing residents an estimated $144 million in reported damages, and at least $125 million in state-maintained road and bridges damage throughout the state

“We are seeing the immediate and devastating impact of climate change right here in Pennsylvania, with more intense rain storms leading to flooding occurring outside flood zones, and dry conditions that can increase the threat of fire in our wooded areas,” said Randy Padfield, director of the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency.

“Combatting climate change demands cooperation among many state agencies but also a proactive approach, and joining RGGI will help reduce carbon emissions, which will, in turn, reduce the threat of weather-related natural disasters.”

Following the governor’s executive order, DEP will draft a regulation to present before the Environmental Quality Board for approval, and a public comment period will follow.

As directed in the Executive Order, DEP will conduct robust outreach to the business community, energy producers, and labor and environmental stakeholders.

https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/go ... emissions/
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

THE CAPE CHARLES MIRROR October 5, 2019 at 10:41 pm

Paul Plante says :

Sorin, I think just about everybody in America is sick and tired of hearing over and over and over about climate change, as if we could actually all get together and stop it, or change it, or even affect it.

The earth’s climate changes, period.

CO2 levels go up and down in natural cycles.

And what has happened is that it has become very politicized, which is what really gets people angry, as we see from this CNN article entitled “Greta Thunberg, 16-year-old climate activist, tells Congress to listen to the scientists and take real action” by Leah Asmelash on 18 September 2019, to wit:

Greta Thunberg has had a busy week.

On Wednesday, the Swedish 16-year-old climate activist appeared in front of Congress before a hearing on climate change, just days after she met with former President Barack Obama.

Thunberg, though, told Congress she didn’t have any prepared remarks.

Instead, she said she was attaching her testimony — the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change’s special report on global warming, which reported a temperature increase of 1.5 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial levels.

“I am submitting this report as my testimony because I don’t want you to listen to me, I want you to listen to the scientists,” she said.

“And I want you to unite behind the science.”

“And then I want you to take real action.”

end quotes

And there is where it all goes south in a hurry, Sorin.

You say you are a fan of science, education, common sense and people seeing beyond their own immediate needs, and you know what, so are MILLIONS of other people here in America, including myself, and by the way, thanks for standing up to the Commies, that is appreciated as they’re a bad lot any way you look at it.

Which brings us to the present moment, because we do not have the “science” to prove anything, other than the earth has a variable climate, which we already knew.

Consider the NOAA educational paper entitled “Mid-Holocene Warm Period – About 6,000 Years Ago” which informs the school children of America as follows:

Paleoclimatologists have long suspected that the “middle Holocene,” a period roughly from 7,000 to 5,000 years ago, was warmer than the present day.

Terms like the Altithermal or Hypsithermal or Climatic Optimum have all been used to refer to this warm period that marked the middle of the current interglacial period.

Today, however, we know that these terms are obsolete and that the truth of the Holocene is more complicated than originally believed.

What is most remarkable about the mid-Holocene is that we now have a good understanding of both the global patterns of temperature change during that period and what caused them.

It appears clear that changes in Earth’s orbit have operated slowly over thousands and millions of years to change the amount of solar radiation reaching each latitudinal band of Earth during each month.

These orbital changes can be easily calculated and predict that the Northern Hemisphere should have been warmer than today during the mid-Holocene in the summer and colder in the winter.

The combination of warmer summers and colder winters is apparent for some regions in the proxy records and model simulations.

There are some important exceptions to this pattern, however, including colder summers in the monsoon regions of Africa and Asia due to stronger monsoons with associated increased cloud cover during the mid-Holocene, and warmer winters at high latitudes due to reduction of winter sea ice cover caused by more summer melting.

In summary, the mid-Holocene, roughly 6,000 years ago, was generally warmer than today during summer in the Northern Hemisphere.

end quotes

You see what is happening here, Sorin?

In one breath, we are told how the earth really works, and then, in another breath, everything in history has been caused by CO2, which is balderdash.

So between little Greta and AOC and the Democrats and the IPPC crowd, who are political, the term “science” has been rendered a term of contempt.

Is that good for our society, do you think?

http://www.capecharlesmirror.com/news/t ... ent-184129
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

THE CAPE CHARLES MIRROR October 5, 2019 at 7:11 pm

Paul Plante says :

Sorin, the conservatives know no more about what CO2 is doing to us or to anything than do the liberals, the independents, the Buddhists, the Jains, the congressional Democrats and all the climate scientists in the world.

Don’t be suckered into believing anyone can control the cycles of the earth, or tell you what an atmospheric phenomenon like CO2 at 410 PPM means to life on earth in the future.

They, like me, and you and Wayne Creed and all the rest can only ponder and surmise.

MEMO TO TOP-RANKING UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT SCIENTIST:

Dr. Diamond, let me first assure you that I am considering carefully every word you have written, and I take them and you quite seriously, just as I do my standing as an engineer with a duty to society to separate fact from fill so as to avoid hysteria.

And by hysteria, I mean young Greta Thunberg publicly saying “I mean, we are striking to disrupt the system,” and “(Y)oung people must hold older generations accountable for the mess they have created,” and that is bomb-throwing, not science and not an attempt at dialogue.

That sounds very much like what you would expect to hear from one of Mao’s Red Guards, or a member of the Hitler Youth.

And I grew up in the countryside in a cold place with greenhouses, and Dr. Diamond, they had to be heated in the winter from inside, lest everything freeze.

Yours, Paul Plante

http://www.capecharlesmirror.com/news/t ... ent-184099