THE POT BELLY STOVE ROOM

Take Off Your Coat and Sit For A Spell To Relax Your Mind
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Re: THE POT BELLY STOVE ROOM

Post by thelivyjr »

The Frontiersmen of New York, continued ...

by Jeptha R. Simms

Albany, NY

Volume I, continued ...

First Distiller.

Francis Otto, who is said to have established the first distillery in the county (which was for cider-brandy, and stood half a mile east of the court house), was also a kind of doctor.

In fact, he was one of that useful class, who can turn their hand to almost anything; being a brandy-maker, a doctor, phlebotomist, a barber, a fortune-teller, etc.

He, too, believed in witchcraft.

His death took place just before the Revolution, in the following manner: He had spent the evening at the John Ingold dwelling, and left there to go home, with the bosom of his shirt filled with apples.

He may, to have kept off the chill of the evening, and increase his courage, have tasted a potation of his own distilling, of which he was fond.

On the following morning he was found in a bruised state, still alive, having fallen off the rocks not far from his own dwelling, but died soon after.

As he was much afraid of witches, it was generally believed that they had thrown him off the rocks.

Thus ended the first distiller, poor Otto, of bewitching memory.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

by Jeptha R. Simms

Albany, NY

Volume I, continued ...

A Successful Hunter.

Deer, as remarked, were numerous in Schoharie formerly.

Jacob Becker related this story.

An old Indian, who lived in Garlock's dorf, was very skillful in the use of the bow and arrow.

This Indian stationed himself at a run-way the deer had on the north side of Foxes creek, not far from Becker's mill, now Shutter's Corners.

It was at a place where a small stream of water descends from the hill, affording a path from that to the flats below.

At this place this Indian was concealed, when a noble deer came down the declivity.

An arrow from his bow pierced the heart of the unsuspecting victim, when it bounded forward a few paces and fell dead.

Another deer descended, and a second arrow left a bleeding victim near its fellow.

Another and another descended to meet a similar fate, until six in quick succession had fallen near together.

There were times when, like the one named, the arrow was as trusty as the rifle ball.

The distance must not be great, however, and the bow must be drawn by a skillful hand.

The arrow, giving no report, the Indian was enabled, by his masterly skill, to bring down six, when a single discharge from a rifle would have sent the five hindmost deer on the back track.

The arrow, however, would not tell upon a distant object like the rifle ball, and great muscular strength was required to send it, even at a short distance, to the heart of a bounding buck.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

by Jeptha R. Simms

Albany, NY

Volume I, continued ...

Rattle-Snakes were very numerous formerly along the north side of Foxes creek, and the west side of the Schoharie.

Hundreds were often killed in a single day at either place.

Neighborhoods turned out in the spring about the time they came from their dens, in the latter part of April, or early part of May, to destroy them.

A few still remain at both places.

It was not uncommon in raising a sheaf of wheat, on the flats near the hills-which afford their favorite haunts, as early as the Revolution-to find one or more of those serpents under it.

They were but little dreaded then, especially by the Indians, for, if they could get at the wound with their mouth, suction, with other applications, generally saved the bitten.

The Indians, said Andrew Loucks, rubbed their legs with certain roots, to avoid being bitten by rattle-snakes, and made use of several kinds of roots and plants, in effecting a cure for their bite.

The knowledge they had of botany, although limited, was of a practical nature, and enabled them not unfrequently to effect a cure, when the application of a mineral compound would have destroyed.

This country, undoubtedly, affords an herb for every disease of the climate, that is cureable, and great attention should be paid to the study and medical application of Botany.

Rattlesnakes diminish rapidly in numbers, if hogs are allowed to run where they infest.

They will eat them, with the exception of the head, whenever they take them.

There are individuals, in fact, who eat those venomous reptiles, and pronounce them palatable.

The late Major Van Vechten, of Schoharie, formerly ate them, and at times invited his friends to the banquet.

On one occasion (in 1836) he had several young gentlemen-students from Union College-to partake with him, who were ambitious to be able to say they had eaten of a "sarpent."

Did they taste flavorous?

One would suppose the idea of eating a rattle-snake would sicken the eater, save in cases of approaching starvation.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

by Jeptha R. Simms

Albany, NY

Volume I, continued ...

I have been thus particular to notice the habits and customs of the Schoharie people, and circumstances attending their manner of living, etc., because I was fortunate enough to obtain them when attainable, knowing that in the picture of their primitive habits, I should reflect those of other local settlements of their national brethren, who immigrated with them, or came hither soon after.

Here, too, is some matter relating to their lands, titles, etc.

The Schoharie Indians, says Brown, claimed the lands lying about Schoharie, and made some sales, but were interrupted in those transfers of lands by the Mohawks, who proved that the land given to Karighondontee's wife, at the time her husband settled, was to be no more than would be required to plant as much corn as a squaw could hold in her petticoat: which, he adds, would be reckoned about a skipple.

A squaw's petticoat neither has great length or breadth; but the reader will understand that the grain was carried in the garment, not on the person but in the manner of a sack.

But a few years after the Schoharie Germans had their difficulties with Rayard, and Sheriff Adams, they began to secure land not only of the seven partners, but also of the natives, and made transfers among themselves.

A bond in the writer's possession, given for what is unknown, by "John Andrews of Scorre [Schoharie], to John Lawer [Lawyer], for 26 pounds 3 shillings, corrant money of New York, dated the 3d day of May, in the fifth year of our Sovereign Lord George I., king of Great Britain, France and Ireland, and in the year of our Lord God, 1720, shows the earliest date of any paper I have met with, that was executed between the early settlers in the Schoharie valley.

The bond is written in a fair, legible hand, and most of the orthography is correct.

In the early conveyances, lands in the vicinity of the Schoharie Court House were located at "Fountain's town, Fountain's flats, and Brunnen or Bruna dorf."

Some of the old deeds bound those lands on the "west, by the Schoharie river, and on the east, on the king's road."

The road then ran near the hill east of the old Lutheran parsonage house, now standing; leaving nearly all the flats west of it.

In ancient patents, the brook above Middleburgh village is called the Little Schoharie; which name I have chosen to adopt.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

by Jeptha R. Simms

Albany, NY

Volume I, continued ...

A Permit to Buy Land.

Many of the Indian sales of lands in Schoharie county, were legalized by the Governor and council of the colony.

The following paper, which is copied verbatim et literatim, will show the usual form of a royal permit, to buy lands of the Indians.

"By His Excellency the Hon. George Clinton, Captain-General and Governor in Chief of the colony of L. S. New York, and Territorities thereon depending in America, Vice Admiral of the same and Admiral of the White Squadron of his Majesty's Fleet."

"To all to whom these presents shall come or may concern, Greeting:"

"Whereas Johannes Becker, Jr., Johannes Schaffer, Jr., Hondrick Schaffer, Jr., and Jacobus Schaffer, by their humble petition presented unto me and read in Council this Day, have prayed my license to purchase in his Majesty's name, of the native Indian proprietors thereof, six thousand Acres of some vacant Lands, Situate, Lying and being in the County of Albany, on the North side of the Cobelskill, and on the East of the Patent lately granted to Jacob Borst, Jacob C. Teneyck and others near Schoharie: in order to obtain His Majesty's Letters Patent for the same or a proportionate quantity thereof. I have therefore thought fit to give and grant, and I do by and with the Advice of his Majesty's Council, hereby give and grant unto the said Petitioners, full Power, Leave and lycense to purchase in his Majesty's Name of the Native Indian Proprietors thereof, the Quantity of Six thousand Acres of the vacant Lands aforesaid."

"Provided the said purchase be made in one year next after the Date hereof, and conformable to a report of a Committee of His majesty's Council of the second day of December, 1736, on the Memorial of Cadwallader Colden, Esq., representing several Inconveniences arising by the usual Method of purchasing lands from the Indians."

"And for so doing this shall be to them a sufficient lycense."

"Given under my Hand and Seal at Arms, at Fort George, in the City of New York, the sixteenth Day of November, one thousand seven hundred and fifty-two."

"By his Excellency's command, G. CLINTON."

"GEO. BANYAR, D. Sec'y."

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

by Jeptha R. Simms

Albany, NY

Volume I, continued ...

A conveyance made in December, 1752, of 1500 acres of land in "New Dorlach," now in the town of Seward - bounds it on "West creek" - west branch of the Cobelskill beginning at a bank called in an Indian conveyance, "One-en-ta-dashe."

This I suppose to have been the Indian name of the mountain south of Hyndsville.

When the county of Tryon was organized, it took in "New Dorlach;" which was embraced in Otsego county on its organization ; and subsequently became a part of Schoharie county.

The parties to an indenture, made November 30th, 1753, were Johannes Scheffer, Christ Jan Zehe, Johannes Lawyer, Michael Borst, Johannes Borst, Johan Jost Borst, Michael Hilkinger, William Baird, Jacob Borst, Michael Bowman, Johannes Brown, Barent Keyser, Peter Nicholas Sommer, Johannes Lawyer Sen., Hendrick Heens, and William Brown.

It was a purchase of 15,000 acres of land on the north side of the Ots-gar-rege, or Cobelskill, about seven miles westerly from Schoharre.

The author has in his possession a parchment copy of letters patent, dated March 19, 1754, granted in the reign of George II., under the administration of George Clinton as Governor, and James De Lancey, Lieutenant-Governor, to John Frederick Bauch [now Houck], Christian Zehe, Johannes Zehe, Michael Wanner [Warner] and Johannes Knisker [Kneiskern], "For a certain Tract of Land lately purchased by them of the Native Indian proprietors thereof, situate, lying and being in the county of Albany, to the westward of Schoharry, and on the south side of a creek or brook, called by the Indians Ots-ga-ra-gee, and by the inhabitants Cobelskill, containing about four thousand eight hundred Acres, and further bounded and described as by the Indian purchase thereof, bearing date the Ninth day of November last, might appear."

The patent grants among other things, Fishings, Foldings, Bunting and Hawking; reserving at the same time Gold and Silver mines, and "All trees of the Diameter of twenty-four Inches and upwards at twelve Inches from the ground, for Masts for our Royal Navy."

"And also all such other trees as may be fit to make planks, knees, and other things necessary for the use of our said Navy;" with the privilege of going on and cutting the timber thus reserved, at any time or in any manner.

The following singular sentence appears in the patent.

The purchasers, after being individually named, were, with their heirs and assigns forever, "To be holden of us, our heirs and successors in fee and common socage, as of our Mannor of East Greenwich, in the County of Kent, with our Kingdom of Great Britain, yielding, rendering and paying therefor yearly, and every year forever, unto us our heirs and successors, at our Custom House in Our City of New York, unto our Collector or Receiver General there for the time being, on the feast of the Annunciation of the Blessed Mary, commonly called Lady day, the yearly Rent of two shillings and six pence for each and every hundred acres of the above granted Lands, and so in proportion for any lesser quantity thereof."

Within three years after the date of the patent, the purchasers whose interest was equal, were required "to settle and effectually cultivate at least three Acres of every fifty Acres, of the land capable of cultivation."

The conveyance was to be invalidated by the wanton burning of the growing timber.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

by Jeptha R. Simms

Albany, NY

Volume I, continued ...

About the year 1760, says Brown, the Mohawks began to sell large tracts of land around Schoharie, through Sir William Johnson, the royal agent of Indian affairs of the six nations for the British Government.

These conveyances to be legal, he adds, were required to be made in his presence, he usually taking good care to secure a valuable interest to himself.

Land was considered of little value among the pioneer settlers of New York, and large tracts were often disposed of for an inconsiderable sum.

The following certificate, found among the papers of the late Philip Schuyler, of Schoharie, will serve to show from its vague limits, the value set by the owner on a large tract of now valuable land.

"I do hereby certify to have sold to Messrs. Philip Schuyler and Abram Becker, and their associates, the Flats of the Cook House with an equal quantity of upland near the path going to Ogwage [Oquago.]"

"And I hereby permit them to take up or mark off any quantity of land they may farther think proper, on the west side the said Cook House branch, granted to me, the subscriber, by the Governor and Council of this province of New York."

"Albany,19th June, 1773."

"TH. BRADSTREET."

Attached to this certificate is an affidavit made by George Mann in 1818, before Peter Swart, a Judge of the court of common pleas for Schoharie county, which states that in the month of June, 1773, being then at the Indian village of "Orgquago," he saw "Philip Schuyler pay to the Chiefs of the Indian tribe of the same name, in behalf of John Bradstreet, the sum of $100, which he understood to be money received by them in consideration of a deed for a certain tract of land given by the said Chiefs to the said Bradstreet, and which land was situated on the west branch of the Delaware river, commonly called the Kokehouse branch.*

He adds that Alexander Campbell, John H. Becker and David Becker, were also present at the time.

* Koke is the Dutch of cook - to prepare food to eat.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

by Jeptha R. Simms

Albany, NY

Volume I, continued ...

Slaves in Schoharie.

I have before remarked that the Schoharie people owned slaves.

Many of them were either purchased in the New England States, or of New England men.

A certificate of the sale of a black girl about thirteen years of age, given on the 7th day of July, 1762, by "John McClister of Connecticut, to Jacob Lawyer of Schohary," for the sum of sixty pounds, [$150], New York currency, will probably show the average value of female slaves at that day.

At a later period, able bodied male slaves often sold as high as $250.

When slaves were purchased out of the colony, a duty was required to be paid on them, as the following certificate of the Mayor of Albany will show.

"These are to Certify, y Nine negro men and women has been Imported Into ye County of Albany from New England, and according to an Act of ye Governor, ye Council, and the generall Assembly; William Day has paid ye Duty for said Negro men and women: witness my hand this twentieth Day of Aug. 1762."

"VOLKERT P. DOUW, Mayor."

Five of the above mentioned slaves were sold at Schoharie.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

by Jeptha R. Simms

Albany, NY

Volume I, continued ...

Public Roads.

While New York was a British province, public roads were called "The King's Highways," and were kept in repair by a tax levied by officers under the crown.

Individuals were not compelled at that period to fence in their lands along the highways, but where the line fence between neighbors crossed them, they placed gates.

This was a source of constant vexation to the traveler, who often complained that there were more obstructions of the kind than necessity required.

Accordingly, to remedy the evil, a legislative act was passed, by which those obstructions could only be placed across the King's road by a legal permit; signed by several of His Majesty's justices of the peace.

The traveler was annoyed by gates across the highway in thickly settled communities in the Mohawk and Schoharie valleys for some years after the American Revolution.

John Lawyer, named in the bond of 1720, and father of one of the first white children born in Schoharie, was one of the principal settlers at Brunnen dorf; was the first merchant among those Germans, trading, as believed, in the old stone building which stood some 20 rods southwesterly from the Lutheran parsonage, which building, then standing on the premises of Chester Lasell, was burned about 1857 or 1858.

Tradition says he erected a grist-mill near his store, which, with an overshot wheel, was driven by water from the great spring at the parsonage, in an aqueduct.

He was a flax hatcheler in Germany.

The natives were among his most profitable customers, with whom he bartered blankets, Indian trinkets, calicoes, scarlet cloth, ammunition, rum, etc., for valuable furs, dressed deer skins, and oilier commodities of the times.

He was one of the best informed among the Germans, who settled the county.

He was a good business man, and aided many who purchased land in making their payments, ever sustaining the reputation of an honorable dealer.

He became a widower when about 80 years old, and married a widow in New York city.

He sent word to have one of his sons meet him in Albany, but they were so displeased with his marriage that none of them would go.

One Dominick took the happy couple to Schoharie, where they ever after spent the honeymoon.

It has been stated that he had several children by this late marriage.

Judge Brown assured the writer that he had, indeed, but that they were not very young when he married their mother.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

by Jeptha R. Simms

Albany, NY

Volume I, continued ...

A second John Lawyer, who usually wrote his given name Johannes (the German of John), a son of the one mentioned above, succeeded his father in the mercantile business.

He became a good surveyor, and surveyed much land in and around Schoharie county.

He was also an extensive landholder, owning at least 25,000 acres of land, and his name appears in very many conveyances made in that county before the year 1760.

A well executed portrait of this man, in the fashion of that day, is now in possession of his descendants.

I have before me a copy of the will of this man, which was dated March 10, 1760, by which it appears he was then a merchant.

He had three sons and two daughters, and his will so disposed of his large estate, as to be equally distributed on the death of his widow, to the surviving children and the lawful heirs of the deceased ones.

Not all parents at the present day in Schoharie county, imitate the commendable example of this wealthy man, and divide their property equally between sons and daughters.

The latter, who are by nature the most helpless, are frequently unprovided for; and while a son or sons are enjoying the rich inheritance of a "wise father," a worthy daughter is sometimes compelled, on the death of her parents, either to marry against her own good sense a man unworthy of her, or feel herself really dependant on the charity of those from whom she should not be compelled to ask it.

Are fathers wise who make such wills?

Johannes Lawyer was succeeded by a son, his namesake, in the mercantile business.

Lawrence Lawyer, one of his sons, who was still living - a very old man - in Cobelskill in 1837, informed me that some person in New York presented his father with a small cannon while in that city purchasing goods, a short time previous to the French war: and that during that war, whenever the Schoharie Indians -who were engaged with the Mohawks under Sir William Johnson - returned home with scalps of the enemy, this cannon was fired for joy.

Thus we perceive that the very cruel Indian custom of scalping condemned in the savages during the Revolution 20 years after the whites had approved in the French war, and demonstrated that approval by the discharge of cannon.

Can we blame the unlettered savage for continuing a custom his fathers - indeed, we ourselves taught him to think fair and honorable, by our own public approval and celebration?

Ought we not rather to pity the injured Indian, and censure ourselves for encouraging his love of cruelty instead of mercy?

I learned from this old patriot, who was one of the early settlers of Cobelsklll, the origin of the name Punch-kill.

His grandfather took a patent of lands adjoining this stream: and on running out the lines in making a survey, punch was made and freely drank on the premises, on which account the brook was called Punch-kill, and has been so called ever since.

This kill is in the northeast part of the town, and falls into the Cobelsklll.

TO BE CONTINUED ...