THE HISTORY OF ESSEX COUNTY

thelivyjr
Site Admin

Re: THE HISTORY OF ESSEX COUNTY

Post by thelivyjr »

THE MILITARY AND CIVIL HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF ESSEX, NEW YORK; and a GENERAL SURVEY OF ITS PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY, ITS MINES AND MINERALS, AND INDUSTRIAL PURSUITS, EMBRACING AN ACCOUNT OF THE NORTHERN WILDERNESS; AND ALSO THE MILITARY ANNALS OF THE FORTRESSES OF CROWN POINT AND TICONDEROGA., continued ...

By WINSLOW C. WATSON.

PART IV.

AGRICULTURE
, continued ...

Public Improvements.

Several projects of public improvement which have been contemplated or now in agitation, demand a brief notice.

The Internal Navigation. Almost a quarter of a century ago, the plan was agitated of uniting the lakes and rivers of the interior wilderness, and by artificial agency, to form an extended inland navigation.

The progress of rail roads, and their approach to that region — circumstances which did not enter into the imaginings of the projectors of this improvement — may render it neither expedient nor practicable, but the facts are of interest, and worthy of historical commemoration.

The prominent idea in this scheme, originally contemplated an artificial communication between Port Kent, on Lake Champlain, and Booneville, on the Black river canal.

The system of lakes in the interior, which are united by a series of rivers, indicate the course, and were designed to form the route of this improvement.

It appears from the report of Professor F. N. Benedict, that nature has formed a practicable route for this improvement, in the direct line from Purmort's rapids, a point on the Saranac river, on the line between Essex and Clinton counties, to the Moose river, twenty-one miles from Booneville, with which the contemplated navigation must be connected by a canal or rail road.

This route, starting from Purmort's rapids, passes through the county of Essex, by the Saranac; along the lower and upper Saranac lakes; the Raquette river, Long, Forked and Raquette lakes, and the intervening streams, to the series of Moose river lakes, and thence down that stream to the western termination.

This track may readily be traced on the very accurate maps of this region recently published.

The following impressive facts are established by these investigations.

There exists, Professor Benedict states, in this direct course, a navigation competent to steamers, of fifty-six miles, and by small boats of fifty-five miles further.

A distance only of seven and one-fourth miles occurs along this route, partially or entirely interrupted by obstructions which will require removing, to complete the navigation the whole line of one hundred and eighteen miles.

The lateral navigation, branching from this main trunk, formed by the rivers and lakes, which are mingled with those above enumerated, affords an additional communication, navigable by steamers, of thirty-three miles, and by small boats of ten tons burthen, of thirty-eight miles more, with an intervening obstruction of only one-half mile.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

THE MILITARY AND CIVIL HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF ESSEX, NEW YORK; and a GENERAL SURVEY OF ITS PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY, ITS MINES AND MINERALS, AND INDUSTRIAL PURSUITS, EMBRACING AN ACCOUNT OF THE NORTHERN WILDERNESS; AND ALSO THE MILITARY ANNALS OF THE FORTRESSES OF CROWN POINT AND TICONDEROGA., continued ...

By WINSLOW C. WATSON.

PART IV.

AGRICULTURE
, continued ...

Public Improvements, continued ...

The Internal Navigation, concluded ...

The result shows the existence, in that sequestered wilderness, of a navigation adapted to steam boats of eighty-nine miles, and to small boats, of ninety-three miles, which is obstructed by natural impediments interposing in different localities, and embracing in the aggregate, the trifling distance of seven and three-quarters miles.

The total length of the proposed improvement is one hundred and ninety miles.

The obstacles which exist chiefly occur in low and marshy ground, and may be readily surmounted.

Mr. Benedict exhibits minute calculations, in which he estimates the expense of improving the whole one hundred and ninety miles, which embraces the lateral branches, at $312,950; with an average cost per mile of $1,611.

The cost of opening the direct route, $292,950; at an average expense per mile of $2,482.

This estimate contemplates merely an improvement of the existing navigation, and surmounting the impediments which occur along the seven and three-quarters miles.

The lateral branches of this navigation, included in the survey of Prof. Benedict, would penetrate deeply towards the west into the forest of St. Lawrence, Hamilton and Franklin counties, and on the eastward along the western limits of Essex, almost touching the vast iron masses of the Adirondacs, and opening their resources to the wants and enterprise of the coal mines of the west.

In reference to this navigation, he says: "Extensive lines of small boat navigation, with very few and short interruptions, traverse all considerable sections of the surface."

"The aggregate extent of these lines is probably no less than three hundred miles, all of which could be rendered navigable for boats of fifty tons burthen at comparatively trifling expense."

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

By WINSLOW C. WATSON.

PART IV.

AGRICULTURE
, continued ...

Rail Roads.

I elsewhere speak of the infinite importance to the utilizing of the vast undeveloped wealth of Essex county that rail roads should penetrate this secluded section of the state.

I have also adverted to the road now in progress, which was intended to traverse the south-western part of the county, and to local train ways in the towns of Moriah and Westport.

The former of these roads, which is now believed to be in vigorous prosecution, or a branch has been authorized by special statutes to pass up the valley of the Schroon and to unite with some other road, by which it may form a connection with the St. Lawrence.

Partial surveys, in accordance with this privilege, have been already made.

Several organizations at different periods have been formed, with the purpose of accomplishing the great public and commercial necessity I have mentioned, but with results wholly unsatisfactory.

A more recent project, conducted by the White Hall and Plattsburg Rail Road Company, and aided to a small extent by a state donative, promises a more certain and practical issue.

A space of twenty miles from Plattsburg to a locality on the Au Sable known as the Point of Rocks, within three miles of Au Sable Forks, has been completed upon which trains are now running.

Another section of this road south of Port Henry and about nine miles in length is nearly finished.

In the intermediate distance it is understood the route is surveyed and located.

The Hon. John Hammond is president of this company.

Another company has been organized under the name of Northern Air Line Rail Road Company, with Silas Arnold, Esq., president, which proposes to construct a line, that shall connect with the former in Peru or Plattsburg at the north, and in Westport or Moriah at the south.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

By WINSLOW C. WATSON.

PART IV.

AGRICULTURE
, continued ...

Plank Roads.

A number of these works were constructed some years ago in various parts of the county.

Although they have been immensely valuable and productive to the transporting business of the region, these roads have not, from their perishable nature, under the abrasion of heavy teams, proved remunerative financial investments by the direct returns of dividends.

Many of the roads have been abandoned, and none, I think, yields more than sufficient to sustain the necessary repairs.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

By WINSLOW C. WATSON.

PART IV.

AGRICULTURE
, concluded ...

Public Improvements, concluded ...

Commerce.

The commerce of Lake Champlain is now large and every year augments.

The lumber, the ore, and iron fabrics of the north, combined with the grain and flour of the west, and the coal and merchandise from the south constitute a vast trade.

To their domestic resources may be added the productions of Canada, which seek a market by this avenue, and the goods chiefly bonded that pass into the dominion from American ports, and much of which is returned under fresh entries, all swelling this immense internal commerce.

Numerous Canadian vessels, designed for the navigation of the St. Lawrence, and readily distinguishable from American craft by their peculiar structure and appearance, reach the waters of Champlain by the Chamblee canal.

Vessels from the upper lakes are occasionally observed in our harbors.

A large class of the population contiguous to the lake is connected with its navigation.

This occupation forms an admirable school for the acquisition of nautical skill and experience, and creates a bold and expert body of mariners.

If the public exigencies shall again demand a national fleet upon Champlain, her own marine would promptly supply daring and efficient crews.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

By WINSLOW C. WATSON.

APPENDIX A.

Letter from General Webb to Colonel Munroe.

Fort Edward, August 4th, 12 at noon.

Sir: I am directed by General Webb to acknowledge the receipt of three of your letters bearing date nine o'clock yesterday morning and one about six in the evening by the rangers which are the only men that have got in here, except two yesterday morning with your first, acquainting him that the enemy were in sight.

He has ordered me to acquaint you that he does not think it prudent (as you know his strength at this place) to attempt a junction or to assist you, till reinforced by the militia of the colonies, for the immediate march, of which, repeated expresses have been sent.

One of our scouts brought in a Canadian prisoner last night from the investing party, which is very large, and have possessed all the grounds five miles on this side of Fort William Henry.

The number of the enemy is very considerable the prisoners say, eleven thousand, and have a large train of artillery with mortars, and were to open their batteries this day.

The general thought proper to send you this intelligence, that in case he should be so unfortunate, from the delays of the militia, not to have it in his power to give you timely assistance, you might be able to make the best terms left in your power.

The bearer is a sergeant of the Connecticut forces, and if he is happy enough to get in, will bring advices from you.

We keep continual scouts going to endeavor to bring intelligence from you.

I am, sir, with the heartiest and most anxious wishes for your welfare, your most obedient, humble servant, E. Bartram, Aid-de-camp.

To Col. Monroe, or officer commanding at Fort William Henry.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

By WINSLOW C. WATSON.

APPENDIX B.

Montcalm.

M. Jean Pierre de Bougainville addressed the subjoined letter to William Pitt:

To the Right Hon. Wm. Pitt.

Sir: The honor paid during your ministry to the memory of Mr. Wolfe gives me room to hope that you will not disapprove of the grateful efforts made by the French troops to perpetuate the memory of the Marquis de Montcalm.

The corpse of that general who was honored with the regret of your nation, is buried at Quebec.

I have the honor to send you an epitaph, which the Academy of Inscriptions and Belles-Lettres have wrote for him, and I would beg the favor of you, sir, to read it over, and if there be nothing improper in it, to procure me a permission to send it to Quebec, engraved in marble to be put over the Marquis Montcalm's tomb.

If the permission should be granted, may I presume, sir, to entreat the honor of a line to acquaint me with it, and at the same time to send me a passport that engraved marble may be received on board an English vessel, and that Mr. Murray, governor of Quebec, may give leave to have it put up in the Ursuline Church.

I ask pardon, sir, for taking off your attention, even for a moment, from your important concerns, but to endeavor to immortalize great men and illustrious citizens, is to do honor to you.

I am, etc., Bougainville.
Paris, March 26th, 1761.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

THE MILITARY AND CIVIL HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF ESSEX, NEW YORK; and a GENERAL SURVEY OF ITS PHYSICAL GEOGRAPHY, ITS MINES AND MINERALS, AND INDUSTRIAL PURSUITS, EMBRACING AN ACCOUNT OF THE NORTHERN WILDERNESS; AND ALSO THE MILITARY ANNALS OF THE FORTRESSES OF CROWN POINT AND TICONDEROGA., concluded ...

By WINSLOW C. WATSON.

APPENDIX B, concluded ...

Montcalm, concluded ...

Reply of Mr. Pitt.

Sir: It is a real satisfaction to me to send you the king's consent on such an interesting subject, as the very handsome epitaph drawn by the Academy of Inscriptions at Paris, for the Marquis de Montcalm, which is desired to be sent to Quebec, engraved on marble, to be set up on the tomb of that illustrious warrior.

The whole sentiments expressed in the desire to pay this tribute to the memory of their general, by the French troops who served in Canada, and who saw him fall at their head, in a manner worthy of him and worthy of them, cannot be too much applauded.

I shall take pleasure, sir, in facilitating a design so full of respect to the deceased, and as soon as I am informed of the measures taken for embarking the marble, I shall immediately give the passport you desire, and send orders to the governor of Canada for its reception.

As to the rest, be assured, sir, that I have a just sense of the obliging things said to me in the letter with which you honored me, and that I think it a singular happiness to have an opportunity to express those sentiments of distinguished esteem and consideration with which I have the honor to be, etc.,

W. PITT
April 10th, 1761.

The letter of Montcalm from which extracts are introduced in the text is copied by Carlyle in his Frederick the Great (vol. V, pages 149-51) from a work by Beatson entitled Plains of Abraham which embraces a correspondence ranging from 1757 to 1759 between M. M. Berryer and De La Mole and Montcalm.

The genuineness of these letters has been questioned, but Carlyle uses them without dissent, and in my view they are impressed by inherent evidences of authenticity.

My limits only permit me to reproduce in addition to the extracts in the text, the closing paragraphs copied by Carlyle: " So confident am I of what I write that I will allow but ten years after the conquest of Canada to see its fulfillment."

"Thus as a Frenchman do I to-day console myself for the danger so imminent and pressing of seeing this colony lost to my country."

The courtesy of an eminent scholar and jurist of Canada (the Honorable Charles Mondelet of the court of appeals) has enabled me to subjoin some valuable particulars connected with these events.

M. Jean Pierre de Bougainville, the elegant correspondent of Pitt, was brother to Colonel Bougainville, the protege and aide of Montcalm, and the great circumnavigator.

In accordance with the wishes of the French troops, animated by their ardent sentiments, in which the memory of Montcalm was cherished, Bougainville caused the inscription to be prepared by the Academy and engraved it is supposed upon a marble slab designed for a mural monument to be placed in the church of the Ursulines at Quebec.

It is believed that in pursuance of the assent of the British government, the slab was sent to Canada, but no traces or vestige of it now exist.

TO BE CONTINUED ...