Holden's History of Queensbury

thelivyjr
Site Admin

Re: Holden's History of Queensbury

Post by thelivyjr »

A History of the Town of Queensbury, continued ...

A. W. Holden, M.D.

PART II

HISTORY OF QUEENSBURY.

CHAPTER IX.
, continued ...

Benedict Arnold's commission is from the committee of safety at Cambridge, Mass., and bears date May 3d, 1775.

It conferred upon him the title of colonel and commander-in-chief of an expedition against Ticonderoga and Crown Point.

In a communication to the printer, of nearly the same date, it is claimed for Col. Arnold, that on his march to Cambridge in April last, he concerted a plan for the capture of Ticonderoga 5 and Crown Point, which he first communicated to a member of the committee for correspondence for Connecticut, and afterwards by letter to the governor of the province; and after his arrival at Cambridge to the provincial congress and committee of safety. 6

From the authority just quoted, 7 we derive the additional information that on the 4th of May, a gentleman in Pittsfield, Mass., wrote to an officer then on duty at Cambridge, stating substantially that the plan for the capture had been concerted by the governor and council at Hartford, Conn., the preceding Saturday, and that Col. Hancock and Mr. Adams, with others from the province of Massachusetts, were present, and participated in the deliberations.

Three hundred pounds were drawn out of the state treasury to defray the expenses of the expedition, which sum was committed to those gentlemen that were here.

The letter also states that a number of gentlemen from Connecticut, went from Pittsfield last Tuesday morning, having been joined by Col. Easton, Capt. Dickenson, and Mr. John Brown (a young lawyer of great promise), with forty soldiers (from Berkshire), in an expedition against Ticonderoga and Crown Point, expecting to be reinforced by one thousand men from the grants above, a messenger having been previously dispatched to inform Col. Ethan Allen of the design, and desiring him to hold his Green mountain boys in readiness.

5 An idea of the dilapidated condition of the barracks at this point may be derived from the fact that on the 29th of Sept., 1773, Gov. Tryon desiring Gen. Haldimand to station 200 men at Ticonderoga and Crown Point, as a protection against the New Hampshire rioters, the latter reports that the state of the buildings at those places is such, that they can't give cover in winter to more than fifty men. — Doc. Hist. N.Y., vol. IV, p. 855.

6 Force's American Archives, Fourth series, vol. II, p. 1087.

7 Idem., p. 507. This was Col. John Brown, for whom a few recent writers, with very little grounds, claim all the credit of this expedition.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

A. W. Holden, M.D.

PART II

HISTORY OF QUEENSBURY.

CHAPTER IX.
, continued ...

In a letter from Capt. Edward Mott 8 to the Massachusetts congress, dated Old Shoreham, 11th May, 1775, in which he states that "a number of the principal gentlemen of the assembly at Hartford, on Friday the 28th of April conversing on the distressed condition of the country, fell on the scheme of to take the fortress [Ticonderoga.]"

"I told the gentlemen it might be taken by surprise with few men if properly conducted, on which, they desired me, if I was willing to serve my country in that way, to join Capt. Noah Phelps of Simesbury, and Mr. Bernard Romans 9 on that design, and furnished us three hundred pounds in cash from the treasury." 10

The result of this enterprise is familiar history to the world.

The Pittsfield expedition joining forces at Bennington with Allen and his Green mountain boys they proceeded with celerity and captured the renowned fortress early on the morning of May 10th.

8 James Easton. Epap. Bull, Edward Mott, and Noah Phelps, in a letter dated at Ticonderoga, 10th May, 1775, state that they are a committee sent from the colony of Connecticut, furnished with money for the purpose of reducing and garrisoning said fort. —Force's Am. Archives, Fourth series, vol. II, p. 556.

9) Bernard Romans was a native of Holland, and removed early in life to England, where he studied the profession of engineer. He was employed in that capacity, in the southern colonies previous to the Revolution, and was a resident of Florida, from 1763 to 1773. Previous to his employment by the state of New York, he had a pension of fifty pounds from the British government as botanist of Florida, and published in 1775, a volume on the natural history of that province. In that year he was employed by the N.Y. committee of safety, to construct defences in the Highlands, with a salary equal to the pay of a colonel. In October following he was superseded. On the 8th of February, 1776, he was commissioned captain of a company of Pennsylvania artillery, destined for the invasion of Canada as part of the northern army. In May, 1776, he was sent back from Canada to be tried for misconduct, and on the 27th July, he was again tried for some difficulty with his lieutenant. It is to be presumed that he was honorably acquitted on these occasions, for in November he was deputed by General Gates to inspect the works at Fort Ann and Skenesboro: In 1778 and 1783, he published at Hartford his Annals of the Troubles in the Netherlands, 3 vols., and in 1779, published in England with Capt. de Brahm a Compleat Pilot for the Gulf Passage. He married 28th January, 1779, Elizabeth Whiting, of Wethersfield, Conn., and continued in the service as an officer until 1780, when he was ordered to South Carolina. On his passage thither the vessel and all on board were captured by the British, and carried to Jamaica, where he was held in captivity until the peace of 1783. He is said to have died on his return passage to this country, though it was the opinion of his friends that he was murdered. He left behind him a high character as a professional man, and an author. — Note by J. Munsell to Ruttenber's Obstructions to the Hudson River.

10 Force's American Archives, Fourth series, vol. II, p. 558. Thus much by way of showing the estimated importance of these frontier posts, both of which according to the same authority were much out of repair, and in ruins, and how capture became the simultaneous subject of consideration, and object of efforts by various parties, legislators, statesmen, and military adventurers. It also accounts for the subsequent strife for supremacy in the command, and for the final joint advance of Allen and Arnold side by side past the celebrated postern gate, through the covered way, and out upon the parade ground together.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

A. W. Holden, M.D.

PART II

HISTORY OF QUEENSBURY.

CHAPTER IX.
, continued ...

The following curious version of the affair is given by Stedman. 11

"A volunteer, of the name of Ethan Allen, assembled, of his own accord, about fifty men, and proceeded immediately to the environs of the first mentioned fortress [Ticonderoga], commanded by Captain de la Place of the twenty-sixth regiment, who had under his command about sixty men."

"Allen, who had often been at Ticonderoga, observed a complete want of discipline in the garrison, and that they even carried their supine negligence to the length of never shutting the gates."

"Having disposed his small force in the woods, he went to Capt De la Place, with whom he was well acquainted, and prevailed on him to lend him twenty men, for the pretended purpose of assisting him in transporting goods across the lake."

"These men he contrived to make drunk; and, on the approach of night, drawing his own people from their ambuscade he advanced to the garrison, of which he immediately made himself master."

"As there was not one person awake, though there was a sentry at the gate, they were all taken prisoners."

After the close of the French war, or at least as early as the year 1767, the fort at the head of Lake George was partially dismantled, and abandoned as a military post; the forts at Ticonderoga and Crown Point being of more massive character, were considered an adequate protection on a frontier no longer threatened by the annual incursion of the savages.

At the time of which we write, the only occupants of this post, were a retired invalid officer of the British army, Captain John Nordberg and two men supposed also to have belonged to the army, and who were possibly pensioners of the crown.

There are reasons for supposing that one of these was John McComb, and the other Hugh McAuley whose name subsequently appears in the town records, and who was the ancestor of the McAuley family of this town.

Their duties seem to have been the supervision and care of the fortifications and buildings at that point, and to lend such assistance as might be needed in forwarding messages, the transmission of intelligence, and the expediting of expresses between Albany and Montreal.

A person by the name of John Sparding or Sparden resided at the lower end of the lake, who in addition to like duties had the charge and care of a saw mill, on the outlet of Lake George.

11 History of the American War, vol. I, p. 131.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

A. W. Holden, M.D.

PART II

HISTORY OF QUEENSBURY.

CHAPTER IX.
, continued ...

On the first of June, 1775, he petitioned congress for the payment of seventeen pounds on a verbal agreement with Col. Arnold for services in transporting troops, etc., through Lake George, and over the carrying place.

In this petition he stated that for upwards of six years past, he had provided boats and carriages to convey persons over the Lake [George] and carrying place, and batteaux on Lake Champlain for the convenience of travelers going to Canada.

He adds, that his business is entirely arrested by the existing troubles since the 10th of May, the day on which Fort Ticonderoga was taken. 12

While the events just recorded were in progress, Capt. Herrick of Connecticut, was instructed to proceed with his company consisting of thirty men to Skenesborough at the southern extremity of Lake Champlain; and there taking possession of whatever stores and munitions of war might be found, to proceed down the lake and cooperate with the forces at Ticonderoga.

In the execution of this plan, Herrick succeeded in completely surprising the little settlement, making a prisoner of Major Skene, (afterwards referred to by Gov. Tryon as Colonel Skene), with twelve negroes, and about fifty leaseholders or tenants on the Skene patent.

In addition to a very considerable supply of military stores, a schooner and several smaller boats were seized, and all were forwarded immediately to Ticonderoga.

These were a valuable acquisition to the infant army of the republic, and afterward contributed to the capture of the small British force on the lake.

12 Force's American Archives, fourth series, vol. II, p. 747. In a communication to the New York congress, May 29th, 1775, Arnold enumerates several wants among which are two flat bottomed boats, to be built at Fort George, forty feet long, twelve feet wide and four deep, with strong knees, well timbered and of four inch plank. "These may be built at Sparden's, where there is timber and a saw-mill handy." * * * Four pairs of strong wheels wanted at Fort George, ten good teams, of four yoke of oxen each, to take up provisions and take down cannon. * * * * Signed, Benedict Arnold, colonel and commandant at Ticonderoga. — Id.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

A. W. Holden, M.D.

PART II

HISTORY OF QUEENSBURY.

CHAPTER IX.
, continued ...

Among the military personages to whom the emergencies of the hour gave special prominence, was Colonel Bernard Romans, who at this juncture appeared in Connecticut, and ardently espoused the cause of the revolutionists.

He was a soldier by training, a gentleman by birth and culture, and an accomplished scholar.

He was present at Hartford on the 28th of April, 1775, when the plan was framed for the capture of Fort Ticonderoga.

He and the other gentlemen concerned in the expedition set forward in different parties, and it is presumed by different routes.

Whether he accompanied Capt. Herrick's party 13 from Castleton across to Skeuesborough, or came directly up the river to Fort Edward does not appear, the record only showing that he took possession of Fort George on the 12th of May, as shown by the following petition.

Captain Nordberg 14 to the New York Provincial Congress.

"The most respectable Gentlemen Provincial Congress in New York."

"I beg leave to represent to the most respectable congress this circumstance."

"I am a native of Sweden, and have been persecuted for that I have been against the French faction there."

"I have been in his Brittannick Majesty's service since January, 1758."

"I have been twice shot through my body here last war in America, and I am now 55 years old, reduced of age, wounds, and gravels, which may be seen by Doctor Jones certificate."

"[In] 1773, I got permission in Jamaica to go to London, where I petition to be an Invalid officer, but as a foreigner, I could not enjoy a commission in England or Ereland."

"His Majesty was graciously pleased to give me the allowance for Fort George, 7 shillings sterling per day, with liberty to live where I pleased in America, because the Fort has been abandoned this 8 year and only 2 men remain therefor to assist any express going between New York and Canada."

"I arrived here in New York last year in September, with intention to live in New York, as I heard nothing els than disharmony amongst Gentlemen which was not agreeable to my age, I resolved to go to Fort George, and live there in a little cottage as a Hermit where I was very happy for 6 months."

"The 12th of May last Mr, Romans 15 came and took possession of Fort George, Mr. Romans behaved very genteel and civil to me, I told that I did not belong to the army, and I maybe considered as half pay officer or invalid, and convinced him that I was plagued with Gravell, Mr. Romans gave me his passport to go to New Lebanon for to recover my health, and he told me that in regard to my age I may go where I pleased."

"As I can't sell any bill for my subsistence, and I can't live upon wind and weather, I therefore beg and implore the most respectable Congress permission to go to England, and I entend to go to my native country."

"I could have gone away secret so well as some others have done, but I will not upon any account do such thing."

"I hope the most respectable will not do partially to refuse me, because Major Etherington, Captain Brown, Captain Kelly, which is in the army have been permitted to go to England, and it may happen they return here again on actual service, which old age and infirmities render me incapable oft".

"As it is the custom amongst the Christian Nations and the Turks, that they give subsistence to every Prisoner according to their rank, should the most respectable Congress have claim upon me to be a prisoner here, I hope they will give me my subsistence from the 12 May last, according to my rank as captain."

"I implore the favour of the most respectable Congress, answer."

"I have the honor to remain with great respect,"

"Gentlemen, Your most obedt. servant,"

"John Nordberg."

"New-York, december, 1775."

13 Herrick's party reached Castleton, accompanied by the Bennington delegation, on the 7th of May. From this point he was despatched on his mission to Skenesborough with thirty men. — Force's Am. Archives, fourth series, vol. II, p. 557-8.

14 "John Nordberg was appointed lieutenant in the 60th regiment, 28th July, 1758, and went on half pay at the peace of 1763 ; he again joined the regiment 29th March, 1775. He remained a prisoner until December 15, 1775, when it appearing to the provincial congress, that his health was in such a state as that tenderness and humanity demanded his going to Great Britain for the restoration of his impaired constitution, and that he had behaved with the strictest honor towards the inhabitants of the American colonies as a soldier and a gentleman, he was permitted, in token of their respect, to proceed to England with such of his effects as he chose to remove, and the people were recommended not to interrupt him. ***** His name appears in the Army List of 1774, for the last time." — Col. Documents, etc., vol. VIII, p. 579.

15 Col. Arnold, writing to the Massachusetts committee of safety from Crown Point, May 19th, 1775, states that his last of the 14th inst., was by Mr. Romans, via New Haven. he sends a return of cannon and ordnance stores, captured at Ticonderoga and Crown Point. He adds that it is impossible to repair the old fort at Ticonderoga, in which opinion he is joined by Mr. Romans, who is esteemed an able engineer. — Force's American Archives, fourth series, vol. II, p. 645. Comparing this date with that of the seizure of Fort George it would appear that Romans made no long tarry at the latter place, but pushed forward to meet the party at Ticonderoga.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

A. W. Holden, M.D.

PART II

HISTORY OF QUEENSBURY.

CHAPTER IX.
, continued ...

Tradition does not identify any of the residents of the Queensbury patent as connected with the seizure of the post at the head of Lake George, but a legend in the Parke family, on the south side of the river, associates the name of their ancestor with this event. 16

It is supposed that Col. Romans was despatched by the authorities of Connecticut to accompany the northern expedition in the capacity of an engineer.

Whether concerted or otherwise, it is presumed that reaching Fort Edward, he learned the condition of the fort at the head of Lake George, and employing Parke as an assistant or volunteer, in the enterprise, with probably some other kindred spirits as the tradition states at Fort Edward, they went forward and took possession of the post as herein related.

It has been stated that although the early settlers of this town, with trifling exceptions, were non-combatants, and that, notwithstanding their religious belief forbade their espousing sides in the struggle for independence, yet their sympathies were mostly with the rebels.

Small cause had they for any enthusiastic regard either way, for they were unscrupulously plundered and robbed by both sides, though most frequently by the illy disciplined, irresponsible squads of soldiers belonging to the armies of congress, in transit between the military posts of the frontier.

The country was now fairly ablaze with the beacon fires of the Revolution.

The eastern border towns of Charlotte county were the homes of the rebels who had taken forts Ticonderoga and Crown Point.

Boston was environed by a rebel army.

Committees of safety were established in every district.

Military companies suddenly sprung into being, minute men, and rangers were enrolled, old arms furbished up, new ones sought and provided.

A representative colonial assemblage convened at Albany, and on the 22d day of May was organized under the name of the provincial congress.

From the minutes of its journal we learn that on the 24th of May, John Williams and William Marsh from Charlotte county, appeared with certificates that they had been duly appointed and were received as delegates thereto.

As a curious fact attending the deliberations of this body, the form of oath administered to its members is appended herewith:

"I do solemnly swear on the Holy Evangelists of Almighty God, that I will at all times keep secret all such matters and things, as shall at any time be given in charge from the chair by order of this congress to be kept secret until leave shall be given from the chair, by order of this congress to reveal the same."

16 Across the river and nearly opposite the village of Sandy Hill, but quite a little distance from the bank of the stream in a sequestered nook, is a small burying ground where many members of the Parke family are gathered. On one of the modest marble slabs here marking the resting place of the dead is one containing the following inscription, viz : In memory of DANIEL PARKS who departed this life March the 3, 1818, aged 78, one of the veterans of the revolutionary war, he was the man that took the key from the British officer at Lake George in 1775.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

A. W. Holden, M.D.

PART II

HISTORY OF QUEENSBURY.

CHAPTER IX.
, concluded ...

To show the unsettled condition of affairs in the county, in the month of June of this year William Duer, 17 a gentleman of considerable prominence residing in the vicinity, wrote to the committee of safety, that certain lawless persons, mostly debtors, were assembling at Fort Edward to break up the courts of justice.

Captain Edward Motte then en route with his company from Ticonderoga to Albany, fortunately happened along, and by his presence during the session of the court, prevented any further disturbance.

The disaffected persons were mostly from the New Hampshire Grants.

A month later (July 15th), the same record states that Fort Edward was razed to the ground.

By whom, or for what purpose, does not appear.

By a letter addressed to the provincial congress, bearing date July 3d, respecting the defenses at the head of Lake George, it appears that Benjamin Hinman was then colonel and commandant of that post, and probably continued so for the remainder of the year, for so late as November 16th, mention is made of Capt. Eleazer Curtis, an old captain in Col. Hinman's regiment, being stationed with his company at Fort George.

17 William Duer was the son of John Duer one of the king's council for Antigua in the West Indies. He was born in England, 18th of March, 1747. He entered the British service in his 18th year as aid de camp to Lord Clive, governor general of India. On the death of his father he left the army and went to the West Indies to take possession of the estate left to him. In 1768 he came to New York where he became acquainted with Lord Stirling, and Philip Schuyler and on the recommendation of the latter purchased a tract of land including the falls at Fort Miller (Washington co.), where he erected saw, grist and snuff mills and ultimately a powder mill. He also erected there a spacious mansion. He was soon after appointed colonel of militia, judge of the county court and held these offices until the Revolution. He was a member of the New York provincial congress, provincial convention, and was member of the committee of safety. Under the first constitution he was elected to the state senate, but before taking his seat was chosen by the legislature a delegate to the continental congress. 27 July 1779, he married Catherine eldest daughter of Ld. Stirling. He resided afterwards at Albany with his father-in-law, who was appointed commissary general of the northern department, but afterwards removed to Fishkill, where he remained with his family until 1783, when he returned to New York city. He was secretary of the board of commissioners of the treasury, which office he held until the board was superseded by the treasury department. He was afterwards member of the N.Y. legislature and after the adoption of the constitution, assistant secretary of treasury under Hamilton, in which office he continued until the government removed to Philadelphia. He became, next, president of a company for the manufacture of woolen goods, which erected the first mill at Passaic falls, whence arose the present flourishing town of Patterson. At a later period he erected a cotton mill on the Bronx, Westchester co., which is believed to have been the first in this country. Having entered largely into speculations in public securities and the military tracts, he suffered heavy losses; his property was sacrificed and he remained sometime without resources to support his family. He died 7 May, 1799, aged 52 years. — Knickerbocker Magazine, vol. XX, p. 95.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

A. W. Holden, M.D.

PART II

HISTORY OF QUEENSBURY.

CHAPTER X.

Campaigns of 1775-6 — Distribution of Troops in this Vicinity — Expedition to Canada — Appointment of Military and Civil Officers in Charlotte County — Appointment of a Commission to visit Canada — Town Records — The Jones Family — Flight of Sir John Johnson and his Retainers — Small Pox in the Army — Erection of Hospital at Lake George —Death of the Baron de Woedtke — Results of the Campaign — Threatened Invasion of Tories — Measures for Relief, and Disposition of Troops for the Winter.

Celebration in honor of the capture of Ticonderoga held by the whigs of the neighborhood, near the tavern in Kingsbury street, in the summer of 1775, resulted in a wrangle, a quarrel, and fight.

A bonfire that had been built for the occasion, was scattered and extinguished by the infuriated tories, and the whigs in that part of the town were driven from their houses, whither few of them returned, until the defeat and surrender of Burgoyne's army made this region an insecure abiding place for hot headed loyalists, the few of whom still remaining, escaped with such effects as they could carry, to Canada.

General Philip Schuyler assumed charge of the northern department in the month of June. 1

On the first of July his first returns announce the following distribution of forces in this vicinity.

Of Colonel Benj. Hinman's regiment at Ticonderoga, 495; at Crown Point, 302; at the landing foot of Lake George, 102; and at Fort George at the head of that lake, 101; of the Massachusetts bay troops, at Ticonderoga, 40; at Crown Point, 109; and at Fort George, 25; of the New York forces at the latter post, 205. 2

In regard to the discipline maintained here, an idea may be gathered from the following extract of a letter from Schuyler to Gen. Washington dated July 18th, 1775.

"About ten last night, I arrived at the landing place, the north end of Lake George, a post occupied by a captain and one hundred men."

"A sentinel, on being informed that I was in the boat, quitted his post to go and wake the guard consisting of three men, in which he had no success."

"I walked up and came to another, a sergeant's guard."

"Here the sentinel challenged, but suffered me to come up to him, the whole guard, like the first, being sound asleep." 3

It is quite probable that a considerable force was stationed here and at the head of the lake during the entire season.

As late as the 13th of October there is record of a court martial held at Fort George at which Brig. Gen. Wooster presided. 4

The American congress, partly it is presumed, with a hope to detach Canada from its allegiance to the mother country, and possibly in part retaliation for an attempt made by the governor of that province to raise a force of Indians and Canadians to harass our exposed frontiers, resolved to raise a body of two thousand men for the invasion of that province, which expedition was to have been placed under the joint command of Schuyler and Montgomery.

A second expedition was organized in New England, a hardy body of one thousand men, composed mostly of borderers, already inured to the hardships and dangers of the wilderness.

This was entrusted to the command of Arnold, who forced his way through the unbroken forests, up the Kennebec, threading the wild passes and climbing the steep acclivities of the White mountain range; and after surmounting these terrible obstacles with incredible suffering, finally effected a junction with Montgomery before Quebec.

One after the other, the posts at Chambly, St. Johns, and Montreal had fallen, a large number of British officers including one general, also several hundred private soldiers had been made prisoners of war, and sent to New England, by the way of Lake Champlain.

The first trophy received by the continental congress was the flag of the 7th regiment captured at Chambly.

But for the disaster at Quebec, the repulse of the repulse of our troops, the death of Montgomery, and the final abandonment of the undertaking, it is just among the possibilities, that Canada might today have been a free and sovereign state of the Union.

1 Col. Hinman who was at Ticonderoga with four hundred Connecticut troops in June, 1775, assumed the general command, but was shortly after superseded by Gen. Schuyler, who by arrangement with Gen. Washington and direction of congress took the command of the northern department,

2 Lossing's Life of Schuyler, vol. I, p. 343.

3 Lossing's Life of Schuyler, vol. I, p. 398.

4 Id., p. 400. See also Washington Correspondence, vol. I, p. 59.

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

A. W. Holden, M.D.

PART II

HISTORY OF QUEENSBURY.

CHAPTER X.
, continued ...

Notwithstanding the entire country was now embroiled in all the evil consequences and bitter asperities of a civil war, a leaning was still strongly manifested even among the partizans of the patriot cause, for a reconciliation with England.

A curious commentary on the political condition of the country, is furnished by the action of the provincial congress at the close of the year, during which such active exertions had been made, and such pronounced hostility had been exhibited to British rule.

In provincial congress, December 13th, 1775, "Resolved, that it is the opinion of this congress, that none of the people of this colony have withdrawn their allegiance from his majesty, or desire to become independent of the crown of Great Britain, or to change the ancient form of government, under which this colony hath grown up from its infancy to its present state."

The situation of the belligerents in this quarter at the beginning of the year 1776, was as follows: Arnold lay encamped before Quebec with a numerical, if not effective force of two thousand men, all of the intermediate posts having fallen into the possession of the American troops.

In addition to the garrisons stationed at Crown Point, Ticonderoga, and Fort George, a small earthwork was constructed at Summer-house point, on the Sacandaga river, where part of a regiment of continental troops were stationed until late in the summer following, when the post was abandoned.

The object of this force was to prevent Indian aggression, and hold in check the tory influence then dominant in Johnstown.

Steps were also taken early in the season to organize the militia of the county. 5

At a general meeting of the county committee of Charlotte county held January 25th, 1776, it was unanimously agreed that Dr. John Williams be recommended to the provincial congress of New York for the command of the first battalion of the militia for this county; Mr. Alexander Campbell of Argyle township for lieutenant colonel, Messrs. Timothy Bewell of Fort Miller, and Mr. Alexander Webster of Black Creek for adjutant, and Mr. Samuel Fuller of Skeensborough, quarter- master.

At the same time and place, it was unanimously agreed that Dr. John Williams, and Mr. Alexander Campbell should represent the county of Charlotte in provincial congress till the 2d Tuesday in May next.

5 To the Honor Members of the Provincial Congress: Gentlemen: Having received the Resolves relating to the Rules and Orders for Regulating the Militia in this Colony, we thought proper to carry it into Execution with all Convenient Speed, and ordered a meeting of the County Committee Immediately. There being a Contention of part of this County in regard to Title of Land, (the New Hampshire Grants) And it was thought proper by the Committees on the Grants to divide the County into two Parts, as they Do not Choose to joyn the other part of the County; which was agreed to by the other Committees: And Each part of the County to form One Regiment, and Recommend their Field Officers, to you desiring you will remit their commissions with all Convenient Speed, so that the Regiment may be formed as soon as Possible, In Case any Incursions may be made from Canada, as we are much Exposed to that Country.
The following Gentlemen we reccommend for Commissions, they being Friends to the present Cause and have signed the General Association: Dr. John Williams, Colonel, Platt Smith, Esq., Lieut. Col., Messrs Nathan Hawly and Hamilton McColister, Majors, Mr. John Jones, Adjutant, Mr. Seth Sherwood, Quarter Master.
Likewise the names of the inferior Officers in each district.
District of White Creek. Ebenezer Clark, Esq., Captain, Edward Savage, 2d Lieut., Charles Hutchinson, 1st Lieut., Daniel McClary, Ensign.
Argyle: Alexr Campbell, Capt., Peter Gilchrist, 2d Lieut., Saml Paine, 1st Lieut., John McDougall, Ensign.
Scheensburgh District: Jeremh Burroughs, Capt., Elisha Tousea, 2d Lieut., Levi Stockwell, 1st Lieut., Silas Granger, Ensign.
Black Creek District: Alexr Webster, Capt., George McKnight, 2d Lieut., John Hamilton, 1st Lieut., Samuel Crosett, Ensign.
Kingsbury District: Asa Richardson, Capt., Nehem Sealey, 2d Lieut., Adiel Sherwood, 1st Lieut., Samuel Harris, Ensign.
Signed by order of Committee, SETH SHERWOOD, Chairman. County Charlotte, Dorsett, 21st Sept., 1775. Commissions issued Sept. 29th, 1775.
In addition to the foregoing, warrants were issued on the 29th of June to Joseph McCracken, Capt., John Barnes, 2d Lieut. Moses Martin, 1st Lieut.,

TO BE CONTINUED ...
thelivyjr
Site Admin

Post by thelivyjr »

A. W. Holden, M.D.

PART II

HISTORY OF QUEENSBURY.

CHAPTER X.
, continued ...

It appears by the following memoranda found among the Wing papers, that the infant settlement this year began to feel the burdens of war, in the way of depredations and unsatisfied requisitions, from wandering and irresponsible parties of soldiery.

Paper No. 1.

Endorsed, "Capt. Lammar's Account, and account of things his company stole."

"1776. Stolen, taken and carried out of my house, March 11th, by Capt. Lammar's company."

£. s . d.

One blue Broadcloath Jactcoat, at 2. —. —.

One blue quilted petticoat, @ —. 14. —.

One woolen checked shirt, @ —. 171/2. —.

One silk handkerchief, @ —. 5. —.

One pewter basin, @ —. 4. —.

13 Dunghill fowls, @ —. 18. —.

One short stag goad @ —. 4. —.

Total £. 5. 2. 6.

"Capt. Lammar, Dr."

"To one pleasure slay steel shod, painted green outside, red inside, which he carried away with him and never returned. £ 7. Abraham Wing."

Paper No. 2.

Containing Capt. Lamar's receipt, and Abraham Wing's affidavit in relation thereto.

"I hereby certify that Mr. Abraham Wing's slay was hired for the use of my company from the 13th of March to the first of April, 1776, when the ice-breaking up, I was obliged to leave her in the care of Mr. Belton at Willsborough on Lake Champlain."

"Marien Lamar Capt. 1, P. B."

"I do most solemnly affirm that I never received the slay mentioned within, which was taken from me by Capt. Lamar for the use of the army, nor have I ever received any compensation for the same, or any other person whatever on my account, and that the slay was worth at that time in hard cash, seven pounds."

"Washington County"

"Abraham Wing, 6th March, 1786."

"This day the above signed Abraham Wing appeared before me and affirmed to the truth, of the same."

"Adiel Sherwood, Jus Pe."

Paper No. 3.

Being a military order and receipt for the delivery of certain property, on a requisition.

"To Mr. Wyng:"

"Sir, Plese deliver that gang of saws to the bearer, to be forwarded to Chesyers, 6 and take his receipt therefor, on the back of this order."

"Fort George, July ye 18th. 1776."

"Nath'l Buell, Ast. D. Qr. Mr. Gen'l."

"Endorsement."

"July the 8th."

"Received the full contents of the within order, being 15 saws, with their stearups on."

"Receive pr. me."

"1776. Eben'r Ashmun."

6 Chesire's mill to which these saws were removed, it is supposed was situated on Fort Edward creek in Kingsbury. In a communication from General Gates to Gen. Waterbury dated Ticonderoga July 15th, 1776, he says, "if we make our stand at the place proposed, it is essential that the road from Chehsire's to Fort Edward be immediately repaired and rendered easy for carriages. * *" — Force's American Archives, fifth series, vol. I, p. 358.
"You will likewise post three companies of a regiment, with a field officer at Cheshire's mill."
"Agreeably to your directions, I have ordered Captain Veeder and his company to the saw mill at Cheshire's." Richard Varick to Gen. Gates, Albany, Oct. 14, 1776. Idem, vol. II, p. 1037.

TO BE CONTINUED ...